• Closed

WebTV with Windows 8.1 and Chrome

jonf
Level 2
1 of 10

For years I have used Chrome with Windows (8 and 8.1) with no problems running Swisscom WebTV. Suddenly, as of 29.03.2015, I get a message telling me that Silverlight is not supported on my browser (Chrome). Checking the Swisscom site confirms that it SHOULD work. Also Microsoft confirms that Silverlight IS supported on Chrome. Any ideas?

9 Comments 9
MatthiasM
Level 2
2 of 10

Dear jonf

Google decided not to support the Silverlight technology anymore. We recommend to use an alternative browser like Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. We are constantly reviewing opportunities that we can offer a great tv experience for Chrome users in the future as well.

Kind regards

MatthiasM

Swisscom

Meine Spezialgebiete:
Customer Care Support (Mobile & Fixnet)
Social Media Communities ...
jonf
Level 2
3 of 10

Dear Matthias,

Thank you for the rapid reply - even if I don't like the answer. I feel that Swisscom should have warned users about this before and updated their information on their websites (eg Swisscom still states that Internet TV works on ALL current browsers).

With Chrome being one of the most (if not THE) most popular browsers I would expect Swisscom Internet TV to be able to run on it. 

Regards,

Jon

DCD
Level 1
Level 1
4 of 10

For me it's ok also using firefox if I know, better with windows 8 and 8.1 would be sure a good think to develope a tv app  like for the platforms of android, i phone or windows mobile... maybe too complicate to develope for windows 8 / 8.1 platform? 

DCD
Level 1
Level 1
5 of 10

please pardon my english :smileysad:

jonf
Level 2
6 of 10

Don't worry about your English. You do fine. 

jonf
Level 2
7 of 10

Dear Matthias,

Nothing personal but, I consider your message a reply not a solution.

Freundliche Grüsse,

Jon

Thuety
Level 1
8 of 10

Chrome doesn't support it anymore.

Edge (replaces IE in Windows 10) doesn't support it anymore.

>>> Silverlight is DECOM / End Of Life

Flash will also die in 1 or 2 years.

http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/07/02/moving-to-html5-premium-media/

Swisscom, change to DASH/HTML5 like Youtube.

genenic
Level 2
9 of 10
I'm using chromeos and its 2016 and i still can't use my laptop to watch tv.
SamuelD
Swisscom
10 of 10

Hi together

Now a new TV Air web player is available. You can use TV Air with the most popular browsers. tvair.swisscom.ch/beta

Kind regards 

Samuel

Hinweis: Ich bin Swisscom Mitarbeiter, schreibe hier allerdings als Privatperson.
Hinweis: Ich bin Swisscom Mitarbeiter, schreibe hier allerdings als Privatperson.