Using my own Router

Reileuli87
Level 1
1 of 19

Hey! I'm trying to use my OpenWRT router instead of the Swisscom Internet Box.

This should be possible as per this post.

Here is my /etc/config/network

IP address output.

Logs after a /etc/init.d/network restart

Any help would be appreciated.

18 Comments 18
bitracer
Super User
2 of 19

How did you connect the OpenWRT device?

Reileuli87
Level 1
3 of 19

WAN port into the port on the wall, same cable and port I use with the Swisscom Box.

bitracer
Super User
4 of 19

I‘m assuming you have FTTH. If you have P2MP line you need a certified device. What kind of subscription you have?

Reileuli87
Level 1
5 of 19

I don't know what those things are, it's an ethernet jack in the wall of my flat, I connect this to the router. No fibre.

bitracer
Super User
6 of 19

It’s probably DSL, so you’ll need a DSL modem/router in front of your router. Possibly one that you can put in bridging mode.

Reileuli87
Level 1
7 of 19

So I must use the Swisscom router?

bitracer
Super User
8 of 19

The Swisscom router can't be put in bridging mode. You'll have double NATing using the DMZ method.

You can always buy your own DSL modem/router, but you should think about what are the real benefits of using your own device. Is the hassle worth it.

Reileuli87
Level 1
9 of 19

I would really like to use my own router, and by the instructions I've listed above it should be very simple

bitracer
Super User
10 of 19

It's possible for sure. The use case you referenced is for FTTH with a device that already has the necessary interface.

If you want do use your device with minimal effort in your scenario, just configure the DMZ  on the Internet-Box to forward all traffic to the OpenWRT device.

Reileuli87
Level 1
11 of 19

Thanks, yeah, I know how to use both routers to get this to work.

My issue is I only want one router (my openWRT router), and setting this up should be pretty straight forward, but it looks like I'm missing something.

bitracer
Super User
12 of 19

Well, you just need the interface for the line you have. It's either included in the device you want to use or you have to use an external one.

Reileuli87
Level 1
13 of 19

I'm not sure what you mean, I've listed all my specs above and I think it should work, but it does not.

bitracer
Super User
14 of 19

Does your OpenWRT router have a DSL interface on-board? Which router do you have?

Reileuli87
Level 1
15 of 19

Linksys E8450 (UBI)

When you say "DSL interface" are you referring to a RJ11 port? The cable connecting to my wall is a RJ45, not RJ11.

bitracer
Super User
16 of 19

If you have IB in use, it’s either DSL or fiber. You said it’s not fiber, so it must be DSL. If you login into the IB, you’ll be able to see what you have. Also check on which interface on the IB the cable from the wall terminates.

Your device is ethernet router. It nas no DSL interface.

Reileuli87
Level 1
17 of 19

Are you telling me they've routed DSL lines through an ethernet cable? This is what I'm connecting to my router.

https://imgur.com/a/scZJbFo

bitracer
Super User
18 of 19

Yes, that's most likely. It even says "Tel" above the plug.

Reileuli87
Level 1
19 of 19

Oh... alright then, I didn't even know this was something people did.