• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

Dolby Audio shown on title bar but not received by my AV system

EmmettenGooner
Level 3
1 of 7

I have Swisscom TV connected to 5.1 system through Marantz NR1605 AV system. Most HD UK (and other languages) show Dolby Audio available but do not always play. Anyone know why? I get it for example watching BBC live sport and most films but then another programme has same Dolby Audio annotation but no Dolby signal gets to AV system.

Edited
ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
UrsSch
Swisscom
6 of 7

Hi all,

Every thing is okay and you get Dolby Digital bit stream audio to your AVR 😉

But there are some channels which are sending Dolby Digital 2.0 and other which are sending Dolby Digital 5.1.

And the AVR shows Stereo for DD2.0 and DolbyD for DD5.1 the important thing is that the AVR shows you the Dolby Logo on the AVR display that tells ylou that you get a dolby digital bit stream.

If there is no dolby digital bit stream like if there is a PCM audio signal on the HDMI then the Dolby logo wont light on the AVR 😉

You should also read all details about your AVR within the manual 😉

cheers

Ich bin Swisscom Mitarbeiter und arbeite im Bereich SwisscomTV Entwicklung
6 Comments 6
LeylaG
2 of 7

Hello @EmmettenGooner

How did you connect your AV system to the TV-Box (optical, HDMI...)? 

What are the audio settings of the TV-Box ?

Cordialement, best regards
Leyla (modératrice, moderator)
EmmettenGooner
Level 3
3 of 7

Hi Leyla,

I connect with high quality HDMI from Swisscom TV Box to AV unit. HDMI to TV.

TV Box is set on Surround Sound. As I said, many programmes show DOLBY D on AV unit (both in original and second language on, for example, FOX TV programmes with dual language options). However, a lot of programmes shown Dolby Digital on information, screen listing but do NOT get Dolby D on AV - I'm attaching a dropbox link to screen grabs from TV and photos of AV Unit (set on AUTO to reflect input from Swisscom TV Box).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uvx5r4g9cdfyzks/AACf5lG7occ7137UwbL-85Zka?dl=0

1. Channel 5 HD - Showing Dolby Audio / AV Unit shows Dolby D

2. Channel 4 HD - Showing Dolby Audio / AV Unit shows Stereo

You can see on both that the AV Unit indicates a Dolby Signal (above the words DOLBY D and STEREO) but different response. It is quite strange.

Regards

Mark

LeylaG
4 of 7

Hi @EmmettenGooner

Maybe @suisse or @StephV have an idea about this? 

suisse
Level 8
5 of 7

Unfortunatly no

UrsSch
Swisscom
6 of 7

Hi all,

Every thing is okay and you get Dolby Digital bit stream audio to your AVR 😉

But there are some channels which are sending Dolby Digital 2.0 and other which are sending Dolby Digital 5.1.

And the AVR shows Stereo for DD2.0 and DolbyD for DD5.1 the important thing is that the AVR shows you the Dolby Logo on the AVR display that tells ylou that you get a dolby digital bit stream.

If there is no dolby digital bit stream like if there is a PCM audio signal on the HDMI then the Dolby logo wont light on the AVR 😉

You should also read all details about your AVR within the manual 😉

cheers

EmmettenGooner
Level 3
7 of 7

Hi

Thanks for that reply. I didn’t know that some channels output at a lower Dolby standard and I could always get a simulated Surround sound using the options on the AVR, which allowed a Dolby II experience. All makes sense now. 

Oh oh and I have a new system now so it’s all change!

Mark