• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

WLAN box - force connection by ethernet rather than WiFi?

Vammifio49
Level 1
1 of 7

Hi, I have my internet box 3 (IB) in a wiring cabinet - yes, I know not ideal but forced to do this in our new build. In addition, I have 2 WLAN-Box-2 devices. One is at far end of house and connected to IB by ethernet - works fine.  Other is closer to IB and is also connected by ethernet cable. However, on Home App it shows as connected to IB by WiFi - I presume it has done this automatically as a WiFi signal is available, if perhaps weak.

My question is: does it make sense to force (how?) the closer WLAN box to connect to IB via Ethernet for higher speed or should I simply ignore it and continue with current setup where WLAN box connects to Internet box which is a wiring cabinet?

Thank you for suggestions.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Tchris
Level 3
6 of 7

I turn the IB wifi OFF, and wire my own access points to the IB.

Chris

oh! Just saw your latest

...wifi to wifi is iffy: don't do it if you have a wired option. Chris

6 Comments 6
DomiP
Super User
2 of 7

Generally, Ethernet is better than the normal wireless-signal. But as you mentioned, the App shows strange things; this could also be a bug; maybe @CemÖ knows more?

Chi ha prescha perda seis temp. Resta pachific!
Gruess, Cordial salids, Cordialement, Cordiali Saluti, Cheers!
Dominik

Chi ha prescha perda seis temp. Resta pachific!
Gruess, Cordial salids, Cordialement, Cordiali Saluti, Cheers!
Dominik

CemÖ
Swisscom
3 of 7

Hi @Vammifio49 & @DomiP 

The Home App is only displaying the connection type. I can confirm from here, that the WLAN-Box is indeed connected by WiFi, then by ethernet.

Why the WLAN-Box is preferring the WiFi connection over the ethernet connection I cannot answer. @MichelB can you help here?

Swisscom Mitarbeiter
Employé Swisscom
Swisscom employee
Swisscom Mitarbeiter
Employé Swisscom
Swisscom employee
Vammifio49
Level 1
4 of 7

Thank you all for checking. Now how do we, or should we bother, force the WLAN box to prefer Ethernet? The other box that is more remote from wiring cabinet (and the enclosed Internet Box 3) seems according to Home app to be using Ethernet. My guess is closer WLAN box 2 sees enough of a WiFi signal to use that. 

Vammifio49
Level 1
5 of 7

Not got a solution from community, but I “solved” my problem of lower speed from WLAN box connection via WiFi with a different approach: upgraded to Internet L so get now about 8.5 G rather than the 300 M as before. So, any speed reduction from WLAN box using WiFi is not going to be noticeable. Thank you again for the other comments.

Tchris
Level 3
6 of 7

I turn the IB wifi OFF, and wire my own access points to the IB.

Chris

oh! Just saw your latest

...wifi to wifi is iffy: don't do it if you have a wired option. Chris

Black Mamba
Super User
7 of 7

@Vammifio49 

thanks for feedback

in order to close a topic by the initiator, if the problem is resolved 😀

please accept a post as approved solution, even a personal post 😉

to do this, use the option Solution? at the bottom left of the post

Is the answer a solution to your contribution?

So mark it as a solution or use the equivalent option with the toothed wheel at the top right of the post

Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"