• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

Swisscom Box & Samsung One Remote

davy3c
Level 1
1 of 15

Hi,

I recently moved from UPC to Swisscom and have set up my new Swisscom Box with my 55" Samsung Frame (2017). In the past, all of the devices that I connected to my Samsung TV over HDMI (UPC box, Amazon fire stick, DVD player, Apple TV, Polk sound bar) were recognised by the TV and could be controlled by the Samsung One Remote control. 

Is anyone using the new Swisscom Box with a Samsung TV with One Remote, and if so, are you able to control it from the One Remote?

The Swisscom remote is working with the TV, but I would prefer to use the One Remote so that I can access the other features on my TV from a single remote.

Thanks

Davy

ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS 2

Accepted Solutions
UrsSch
Swisscom
13 of 15

hi @davy3c 

Some HDMI-CEC functions are allready in place.

But the HDMI-CEC commands like TV on/off and "TV source selection" are focusing to be used with the remote control from Swisscom 😉

The other way round like you think (HDMI-CEC from the Samsung TV to the Swisscom Box) is not planned to be implemented...

On the other hand Samsung Switzerland has of corse some Swisscom blue TV boxes.

If Samsung has implemented all the IR commands to be able to controll the whole Swisscom blue TV box, I don't know.

That's a question for Samsung its up to them if they want to implement all commands or just some of them...

So at the moment if you would like to control the Swisscom blue TV Box from another remote control (IR = infrared) which is not from Swisscom then you need a additional IR-adapter for the Swisscom blue TV Box so that the box can receive the IR commands from other devices like Logitech Harmonie or from a SamsungTV (if Samsung is supporting that).

This IR-adapter is working for both IP1400 and IP2000:

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/products/tv/details.html/uhd-accessories-kit-10240233?payOpti...

Cheers

Ich bin Swisscom Mitarbeiter und arbeite im Bereich SwisscomTV Entwicklung
davy3c
Level 1
15 of 15

hi @UrsSch - thank you for the info - this is helpful. 

Pity that Swiscom won't enable control over CEC from other remotes. I am sure more and more TV manufactures will make their own version of the Samsung One Remote in an attempt to reduce the number of RCs we all have to manage. 

I read about the IR workaround. Unfortunately that won't work for me. With a Samsung The Frame the box with all of the HDMI ports is connected to the TV with a fiber optic cable so that you can hide it away in a cupboard. My Swisscom Box is nowhere near my TV panel. The beauty of the Samsung One Remote is that it uses Bluetooth to communicate with the control box, meaning you don't have to point the RC anywhere to make it work.

Thanks again for your feedback - guess I better get used to switching between the Swisscom and Samsung remotes!

Davy

14 Comments 14
Alanz
Level 4
2 of 15

I also own a Samsung The Frame (2018 version) and I ended up using the Swisscom remote only, and use the Samsung remote when I need TV functions.

The wizard to let you setup the box does not seem to be successful at recognizing the Swisscom box, hence no luck for me in keeping the Samsung remote only.

Please let me know if you find a solution

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Abbonamento: inOne home + TV + mobile, pacchetto Sports.
Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Black Mamba
Super User
3 of 15

Samsung Smart TV app
Swisscom TV application (or rather blue TV) which will be available directly on Samsung TVs
it will allow access to blue TV without going through a TV-Box

simple and very practical with the TV remote control

On this page: At home with the TV-Box, at your holiday home with a Smart TV or on the move with your smartphone. Different ways of using Swisscom blue TV

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone
Customers help customers
Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
davy3c
Level 1
4 of 15

@Alanz - you are doing the same thing as I am. After several years of using just a single remote it is frustrating to go back to having to use multiple remotes. What I don't know is if this is a problem with the Samsung TV (I can't choose the IP2000 box when I set up the Swisscom Box but there are older boxes in the option list), or the Swisscom Box (does it allow control over HDMI CEC from another remote control?). 
Davy

davy3c
Level 1
5 of 15

@Black Mamba - I was not aware of the SmartTV app. I will try it out later. Do you know what video resolution is supported? 
Davy

Alanz
Level 4
6 of 15

Try the new app, which by the way was released today itself.

I have tried it in the morning and unfortunately I cannot get past the QR code validation. It may be that they are still fine tuning the registration process of the app.

If I am not wrong, the app supports Full HD, but not 4K. 

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
UrsSch
Swisscom
7 of 15

Hi @davy3c 

the IP2000 Swisscom box supports the same IR commandes like the older IP1400 UHD box 😉
So you can choose just the "IP1400" but you need an IR-adapter for the Swisscom box/UHD box.

HDMI-CEC control from another device to control the IP1400 or IP2000 is not supported.

Alanz
Level 4
8 of 15

Hi @davy3c 

Here is the page where it compares resolution and other features of the app vs the box

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/plans-rates/inone-home/swisscom-blue-tv/devices.html#!

Scroll to the section: 

blue TV on your devices

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Friyionner48
Level 1
9 of 15

I have the same problem, only with Samsung The Frame (2019) 🤔

Alanz
Level 4
10 of 15

one info: the app only seems to work with the login you have enabled as TV login. In my case e.g. it was the secondary login credentials that worked, whereas the main profile would not work

hope this helps

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
davy3c
Level 1
11 of 15

Thank you @UrsSch. Do you know if this is a hardware or software limitation? If software, can this functionality be enabled in a future release? 
Is Swisscom collaborating with Samsung to ensure that the IP2000 is fully supported on their TVs? My old UPC box, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV and Polk Audio soundbar are all supported. It is disappointing that this otherwise very impressive box from Swisscom is not supported Samsung (apparently the most popular TV brand in Switzerland).

Thanks

Davy

davy3c
Level 1
12 of 15

Thank you for the link to the comparison of features.

I see that the Swisscom Box has "4K UHD, HDR, Dolby Audio" but there are no details of what is supported on a SmartTV - does anyone know?

Thanks
Davy

UrsSch
Swisscom
13 of 15

hi @davy3c 

Some HDMI-CEC functions are allready in place.

But the HDMI-CEC commands like TV on/off and "TV source selection" are focusing to be used with the remote control from Swisscom 😉

The other way round like you think (HDMI-CEC from the Samsung TV to the Swisscom Box) is not planned to be implemented...

On the other hand Samsung Switzerland has of corse some Swisscom blue TV boxes.

If Samsung has implemented all the IR commands to be able to controll the whole Swisscom blue TV box, I don't know.

That's a question for Samsung its up to them if they want to implement all commands or just some of them...

So at the moment if you would like to control the Swisscom blue TV Box from another remote control (IR = infrared) which is not from Swisscom then you need a additional IR-adapter for the Swisscom blue TV Box so that the box can receive the IR commands from other devices like Logitech Harmonie or from a SamsungTV (if Samsung is supporting that).

This IR-adapter is working for both IP1400 and IP2000:

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/products/tv/details.html/uhd-accessories-kit-10240233?payOpti...

Cheers

UrsSch
Swisscom
14 of 15

Hi @davy3c 

you wrote:

I see that the Swisscom Box has "4K UHD, HDR, Dolby Audio" but there are no details of what is supported on a SmartTV - does anyone know?

Which then means no 4K/UHD, no HDR and no Dolby Audio => max. HD, SDR, and just stereo l/r audio (HE-AAC codec).

As far as I think.

Cheers

davy3c
Level 1
15 of 15

hi @UrsSch - thank you for the info - this is helpful. 

Pity that Swiscom won't enable control over CEC from other remotes. I am sure more and more TV manufactures will make their own version of the Samsung One Remote in an attempt to reduce the number of RCs we all have to manage. 

I read about the IR workaround. Unfortunately that won't work for me. With a Samsung The Frame the box with all of the HDMI ports is connected to the TV with a fiber optic cable so that you can hide it away in a cupboard. My Swisscom Box is nowhere near my TV panel. The beauty of the Samsung One Remote is that it uses Bluetooth to communicate with the control box, meaning you don't have to point the RC anywhere to make it work.

Thanks again for your feedback - guess I better get used to switching between the Swisscom and Samsung remotes!

Davy