NAS function for USB HD connected to Internet-box (2) is no more available

zopp
Level 1
1 of 7

Since one of the last firmware updates (to the version 14.xxx), this function for acceding the HDs, which are directly connected to the UBS box ports, is no more available. This is shame because the LAN access to these HD was highly useful.

I could fix it by downgrading to one of the older firmware versions (13.20.26 in my case). After, both HD connected to the box appeared again as NAS.

Unfortunately this way does not allow a permanent change. As Swisscom changes the firmware automatically, after some time, the firmware is automatically upgraded, loosing the NAS function.

My question is if there is some way to disable this automagical firmware upgrade.

Any idea how to pass through this restriction folks?

6 Comments 6
bitracer
Super User
2 of 7

I would advise you to find an alternative solution. For example a NAS.

It‘s generally best practice to run up to date firmware version on your network connected hardware. Mainly for security reasons but also for better stability.

zopp
Level 1
3 of 7

It is right, a "real" NAS is an option. However, I'm already using 2 self standing NAS and the NAS from Swisscom internet box is on top. Connecting a SSD HD directly to the box USB slot allowed me to get a constant access to my music and movies (via Plex) from any LAN device, and to save the scanned documents from the printer.

A SSD HD is much more simple in comparison to the self standing NAS (must be running, noisy, etc ....), so with the previous Swisscom firmware, I could really achieve what I needed.

For the above reasons, I'm really surprised Swisscom abolished this option. For this purpose, I have to replace periodically the new version of the firmware with the older one, but this is not convenient at all and I would prefer an option for stopping this automatic upgrade.  

bitracer
Super User
4 of 7

I get it but you're just postponing the inevitable. It makes more sense to deploy the permanent solution rather than doing ugly workarounds.

Check if you can attach the external drives to the NASes you already have. Some NASes allow you to do this. Same for printing.

r00t
Super User
5 of 7

Hi @zopp 

To directly address your question: There is no way to prevent the box from upgrading again.

If you are looking for a low-power-low-noise alternative, using a raspberry-pi might fulfil your requirements.

As the internet-box is completely proprietary (although it contains tons of free software), Swisscom can and will change its features. I agree with you, that the current trend is very unfortunate (less local features, more dependency on the mySwisscom App etc.)

Best,

r00t

01001100 01000111 00001010 01110010 00110000 00110000 01110100
01001100 01000111 00001010 01110010 00110000 00110000 01110100
zopp
Level 1
6 of 7

Thank you for your answer & suggestion. It is true that the "go ahead" practice is not all the time convenient. I would also prefer the choice between cloud and local storage, just to leave customer to decide ..... 

gionzana
Level 2
7 of 7

I agree, that would be the best!