• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

MMS send/receive

gmo314
Level 1
1 of 8

Hello everybody

currently abroad (France), I am unable to send/received MMS messages (SMS are ok both ways) since possibly a few days (last MMS received/sent was on sunday 24th, but I did not use the phone till yesterday night).

Hardware and software: Huawei P20 Lite running Android 10

Reception: when trying to download a received MMS the application hangs around (icon spinning) for acouple of minutes, then stops spinning and nothing else happens (I can try to download again, it spins etc.). No error messages, just silence.

Send: after a few seconds of hitting SEND, i the error message "cant send message with swisscon, error 38" is returned , the MMS is not sent, I can try again,  get the same result, etcc.

Looking at the system parameters they look ok to me (I dont think I changed something since sunday, but onw never knows...),  checked the APN definition which is in accord with the recommendations available on  the swisscom site. Roaming is enabled.

Seems to me the problem is related to the way the phone interacts with the swisscom MMS service; but I cant figure out what is wrong.

ANy suggestions?

thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
gmo314
Level 1
7 of 8

thanks for the detailed explanation; indeed it is not an issue related to having hit some limits of the subscription.

I called the hotline and got

i) the information that it is "a known problem" with France and Italy and is being investigated...

ii)  the advice to use something else ("more modern")...

thanks to all who replied and tried to help

best giuseppe

7 Comments 7
Black Mamba
Super User
2 of 8

@gmo314 

to receive / send an MMS activate mobile data

Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
DomiP
Super User
3 of 8

Or contact Swisscom Hotline at 0800 800 800 (inside Switzerland) to get the correct APN profile. Swisscom Support Staff are able to reinstall the Certificate on your Device.

Chi ha prescha perda seis temp. Resta pachific!
Gruess, Cordial salids, Cordialement, Cordiali Saluti, Cheers!
Dominik

Chi ha prescha perda seis temp. Resta pachific!
Gruess, Cordial salids, Cordialement, Cordiali Saluti, Cheers!
Dominik

gmo314
Level 1
4 of 8

Thanks for your reply.  both options "mobile data" and " data roaming" are enabled: indeed I can acces the web when the WiFi is off.

best giuseppe

gmo314
Level 1
5 of 8

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I checked the definition of the 2 APNs and they look ok to me, but may be I did not compare with the correct/latest version. I will call swisscom tomorrow, I understand they have a number one can call from abroad

in the meantime I had a few more tries (such as resetting the network), no success: SMS ok (to/from swisscom/other operator numbers), web access fine when WiFI off, MMS no way.

I checked the subscription (InOne mobile go): it says unlimited SMS/MMS  in the EU: still I wonder if I have not misunderstood the terms of the subscription and hit some limit.

best giuseppe

Black Mamba
Super User
6 of 8

@gmo314 

A correctly configured mobile phone with a Swisscom SIM card uses two APNs for data transmission:

- Swisscom Services (gprs.swisscom.ch) => normal internet access

- Swisscom MMS (event.swisscom.ch) => Receive and send MMS

To send and receive data via an APN, the packet data service and thus packet switching (> PS) must be switched on on the mobile phone. The packet data service is switched on and off with "Mobile data". In the case of an offer with "SMS / MMS unlimited", the exclusive use of the APN "Swisscom MMS" (event.swisscom.ch) for sending and receiving MMS should not incur any additional costs

In contrast, every data packet transmitted via the "Swisscom Services" APN (gprs.swisscom.ch) tears away at the "Internet credit" (data volume) that is still available. If the "Internet credit" (data volume) has been used up, the basic rate of CHF 2.00 / day applies. You can find the basic tariff in the Swisscom Cockpit

Cockpit: Enter mobile number (swisscom.ch)

When the packet data service is activated ("Mobile data" activated), the "APN botch" can only ensure that no (undesired) data packets are transmitted via the (chargeable) APN "Swisscom Services" (gprs.swisscom.ch) will

gmo314
Level 1
7 of 8

thanks for the detailed explanation; indeed it is not an issue related to having hit some limits of the subscription.

I called the hotline and got

i) the information that it is "a known problem" with France and Italy and is being investigated...

ii)  the advice to use something else ("more modern")...

thanks to all who replied and tried to help

best giuseppe

Black Mamba
Super User
8 of 8

@gmo314 

in order to close a topic by the initiator, if the problem is resolved or request additional investigations

please accept a post as approved solution

to do this, use the option Solution? at the bottom left of the post

Is the answer a solution to your contribution?

So mark it as a solution or use the equivalent option with the toothed wheel at the top right of the post