• Closed

changing from fixnet analog telephony to VOIP telephony

jnS
Level 1
Level 1
1 of 5

Hello Swisscom support,

I'm currently using the Netopia 7347-44 modem/router with a "DSL standard" Internet access; for fixnet telephone an analogue "EconomyLINE". I would like to change to VOIP telephony (my Phoneset Gigaset C475ip is VOIP-enabled), but in the customer center I only can choose between some MultiLINE ISDN alternatives (?).

I then tried to enable the router's VOIP feature, but the activation in the VOIP SIP lines configuration panel is disabled (checkbox greyed!).

Reading the Help on this panel I realized that the router VOIP SIP lines functionality also includes "the conversion of an analogue voice signal to digital",  what would explain the disabled activation (function eventually not supported by the current firmware).

But in fact, as I said, my phoneset already delivers a digital signal and is connected to the router; I already can use VOIP telephony via other SIP providers such peoplefone. So, actually, ALL I NEED is a Swisscom SIP account to connect to (which I'll use to configure my phoneset).

Is it possible to have such a Swisscom SIP account?

4 Comments 4
LeylaG
2 of 5

Hello jnS,

Your current Internet subscription is DSL Standard, which is still operated on the analogue technology.

To enjoy the VOIP telephony you need to change for a new Vivo bundleVivo XS with TV 2.0 light is the same price and same Internet speed that your current subscriptions (landline + DSL Standard for CHF 74.-) Feel free to upgrade your package as fiber optic is available at your address and offers you a speed up to 1 Gbit/s.

You can order your Vivo package directly on your Customer center online > Packages > Change subscription.

Kind regards,

Cordialement, best regards
Leyla (modératrice, moderator)
jnS
Level 1
Level 1
3 of 5

Hello LeylaG

Thank you for your answer/proposition 🙂

Changing my current subscription to a Vivo bundle would be an option to which I could think "tomorrow" but not "today", when I'm looking for a transitory VOIP telephony solution. Transitory in the sense that Swisscom will anyway stop the analogue telephony next year, whereas the details and the alternatives have not yet been communicated to the customers concerned (I could not believe that all customers will be forced to switch to Vivo!).

As I said in my first contribution, my fixnet phone is already a VOIP-enabled one, and my outgoing calls go all via a SIP/H323 server of peoplefone. All I would need is to re-configure my phone to use Swisscom as VOIP provider (with its proxy and registration servers) instead.

The Vivo's Internet box surely communicates with such a Swisscom SIP/H323 server, so if I could be allowed for a SIP account, my "transitory solution" would work!

Can I get (and how) a SIP account at Swisscom VOIP services?

LeylaG
4 of 5

Hello jnS,

Thank you for your feedback. 

At the moment, Swisscom does not deliver original customer SIP username and password for quality and security reasons.

However the Swisscom Internet-Box plus and Internet-Box standard have the possibility to create SIP extensions. These are normal SIP access information, which can be used to configure any SIP client / phone connected to the Internet-Box (the router acts as a proxy). To use these options an All-IP product like a Vivo package or SwisscomLine is required.

As you said, Swisscom is planning to switch analogue network telephony services over to IP by the end of 2017. 

All customers with analogue services will be prompted to change for ALL IP. New products and subscriptions will probably be added to our current portfolio.

You can get more information on our website here and here.

Kind regards,

jnS
Level 1
Level 1
5 of 5

Hello Leyla,

thank you (even if I do this with some delay 😞 ) for your more detailed information. As you rightly said, the VoIP telephony topic will be a long-haul one, Swisscom has just started it, so I'll surely reopen the discussion when the landline product portfolio will have been accordingly extended and the Swisscom's "prompting to change for ALL IP" will be acted.

rgds

john