Roaming_Paris.jpg

Make phone calls, send SMS and surf the mobile Internet without stress when travelling: with Swisscom, there’s no need to worry about high bills when using your mobile phone abroad. The following tips will help you optimise roaming costs.

1. Set roaming limits

Roaming refers to the ability of a mobile phone to log into a foreign mobile network and use services when the user is outside the network area of their own mobile operator. Set up your roaming limits in the Cockpit. You can then keep your costs under control when making calls, surfing the web and sending messages abroad. Upon reaching the limit, roaming is prevented and there are no further costs.

2. Prepare your mobile for VoLTE roaming

VoLTE allows voice calls to be made and received over a 4G LTE mobile network with higher quality and faster connection times. Increasing numbers of mobile providers are shutting down their 2G and/or 3G networks. This may mean that your ability to make calls while abroad without VoLTE roaming is restricted or no longer possible (e.g. in the USA). Before you travel, check whether your mobile phone meets the requirements necessary for VoLTE roaming.

3. Use up your included data allowance 

Older Swisscom mobile subscriptions also include international roaming credit. You can see your current balance in the Cockpit. You will only have to buy a roaming package once your credit is used up.

4. Buy roaming packages

You don't have a flat rate subscription with unlimited use or your credit is used up? You can buy additional minutes and data with the international call and data packages. This is cheaper than simply using your mobile phone abroad. You can purchase packages in the Cockpit – access to the cockpit is also free abroad.

5. Switch to a flat-rate subscription

With the blue Mobile M/L and inOne mobile premium subscriptions, you can use your mobile phone abroad just as you would at home. With all three subscriptions, you can surf and make unlimited calls in the EU/Western Europe – some of the subscriptions include additional data and unlimited calls in more countries.

6. Connect to WLAN

Connect to the wireless Internet in hotels and restaurants, e.g. to stream movies or upload your holiday photos to the cloud. Please note: Never make payments or conduct sensitive business on a public Wi-Fi. 

7. Use apps offline

GPS map apps or streaming services such as Netflix and Spotify can also be used offline. To do this, simply download the required apps and content when connected to WLAN. You can then find your way through foreign streets and stream your favourite content at no additional cost even without an Internet connection.

8. Turn off auto start on apps

Many apps, such as Netflix, YouTube or Instagram for example, play videos or animations as you scroll. If possible, switch off this auto start function in the app or use these apps less when abroad.

9. Deactivate automatic updates

In your phone settings, deactivate automatic background updates and automatic updates such as the installation of the latest app versions. This prevents unexpected data use.

10. Do not automatically upload photos

Turn off automatic image upload and only sync your phone photos with your cloud (Google Photos, iCloud, myCloud) when you’re on a secure WLAN.

Find out more about roaming and mobile phone use abroad.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
Gaustullu47
Level 1

Why don't you mentioned to switch off the combox as tip to avoid extra costs abroad? I just got my bill with additional CHF70.- due to calls I never recevied but charged to my combox. I did not even have a message let from my friends or telemarketing call, but most probably they called my mobile till they heard the combox announcement. Anyway, Swisscom is charging those calls!

swisskye
Level 1

Missing Swisscom's response to your query / complaint 😞

MiriamF
Level 6

Hi @Gaustullu47 

Thank you very much for your advice. And sorry for the costs you incurred. We will add this to the article.

Best wishes, Miriam

Koppofeus69
Level 1

Suggest to add a note about and link to : turn off roaming. Thank you

Difluchaul36
Level 1

Unfortunately, my written French is not good so I will comment in English. I agree with Patrick Ecoeur - it would have been much simpler if Switzerland had signed the agreement with the EU in 2017 when roaming began but, financially, it was not in their interest, because the telephone company would no longer be able to charge their clients  extra money if they  wanted to use their Swiss mobile outside of the country.

Bravo Patrick for bringing this subject to the surface !!

Difluchaul36
Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention my name - June Mavridis. I travel regularly to Greece and not being able to use my Swiss mobile - unless I am willing to pay more - is not a good idea. I have a few friends who live in Europe and they arrive and use their phones without any problem. 

Feiyiennioth82
Level 1

I have a data pack for Europe. I am travelling in the UK (London). Data pack - I still have 970mb available - data roaming is not working. I have checked  settings in my iphone. Still data roaming not working. Please suggest solution.

LeylaG

Hello @Feiyiennioth82 

It seems that roaming is not enabled on your account.

You can activate it on the Swisscom Cockpit.

Hope it helps!