cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

TvBox 21 won’t connect to the WLAN box 2

steven.rolfe
Level 5
1 of 13

My new TV Box 21 simply refuses to connect to the WLAN BOX2 that’s in the line of sight 3m away. It instead connects to the router that’s 20 m away in the lounge. I have turned everything off, Reset everything numerous times. The tv box 21 will instantly connect to the Box 2 using an Ethernet cable. Loads of other distant devices connect to the Box 2 . I have gone through the on screen connection set up 20 times.. any clues please.. regards Steve 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Gaeilgeoir
Level 5
2 of 13

@steven.rolfe Actually the best way to have a good signal would be to connect the TV Box via Ethernet cable to the Wlan Box and then wlan lan box via wifi to the router. That's what's also suggested here.

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/device/home-network/wlan-box/wlan-box-einrichten.html

Gaeilgeoir_0-1633771055410.png

Ma olaim an t-airgead is ma bhronnaim an t-or
O caide sin do'n te sin nach mbaineann sin do
12 Comments 12
Gaeilgeoir
Level 5
2 of 13

@steven.rolfe Actually the best way to have a good signal would be to connect the TV Box via Ethernet cable to the Wlan Box and then wlan lan box via wifi to the router. That's what's also suggested here.

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/device/home-network/wlan-box/wlan-box-einrichten.html

Gaeilgeoir_0-1633771055410.png

steven.rolfe
Level 5
3 of 13

This is not a practical option unfortunately. But the question still is, what will the TV box 21 not connect to the WLAN of the nearer Box 2 that has the strongest signal. It just does not see it at all. Where as many other devices see it perfectly. 

Black Mamba
Level 5
4 of 13

@steven.rolfe 

thanks for the contribution and the feedback

Advice :

1. synchronize WLAN-Box 2 with the router, see explanation below for the 1st synchronization

2. install WLAN-Box 2 next to Swisscom box 21 (or as close as possible)

3. connect the WLAN-Box 2 to the router via the home WLAN (Wi-Fi), find the best channel and the best frequency, if the distance is great, prefer the WLAN 5GHz and in separate mode and name also

4. connect the Swisscom box 21 to the WLAN-Box 2 using the Ethernet cable supplied by Swisscom

Some useful tips and information

WLAN-Box positioning and setup - Help | Swisscom

The WLAN-Box can be used in two ways:

• As an Access Point: To optimise WLAN reception throughout your home, connect the WLAN-Box to the Internet-Box with a cable.
  • As a WLAN repeater: This also boosts WLAN reception, but not in the same quality as an Access Point. To use it as a WLAN repeater, position the WLAN-Box between the Internet-Box and the location where you are wanting to use the Internet, and connect the two boxes wirelessly.

1st synchronization of the WLAN-Box 2 :

It is preferable to perform the 1st synchronization of the WLAN-Box 2 and the Internet-Box directly with an Ethernet cable, either as an access point or as a repeater via WLAN, then switch off the WLAN-Box 2 and turn it back on in the new location. The latest Firmware may be installed near the Internet-Box after connection, so it is better to wait 7 to 8 minutes after connection, then switch it off and move it to the new location.

Swisscom Home App provides interactive help for any installation

Swisscom Home App | Swisscom

The Swisscom Home app unites all the smart assistants from your different providers, such as the Swisscom Smart Switch, Philips Hue or Sonos, in one app – for central control and much more... Use the Swisscom Home app to check which devices are connected to your home network.

Gaeilgeoir
Level 5
5 of 13

@steven.rolfe In the German community it is clearly stated the you must connect WLAN2 to the TV Box via Ethernet, via Wifi it is unfortunately not possible. Sorry about that.

comment from ThomasS:

https://community.swisscom.ch/t5/Heimvernetzung/WLAN-Box2-verbindet-sich-nicht-mit-der-TV-Box/td-p/6...

steven.rolfe
Level 5
6 of 13

Sorry but I must disagree with you. The tv box 21 on the onscreen display offers 4 types of connection. Wired, (Ethernet) wlan to internet box, power socket adaptors and wlan box range extenders. Accepted that Ethernet is recommended. But my Box 21 happily connects to the WLAN of the internet box but not the range extender box 2 

Black Mamba
Level 5
7 of 13

@steven.rolfe 

thanks for feedback

> ... But my Box 21 connects without problem to the WLAN of the internet box but not to the range extender box 2 ...

this is exactly what was said by @Gaeilgeoir and by @ThomasS Swisscom Community Manager

follow the advice provided and it will work without a problem 😁

Gaeilgeoir
Level 5
8 of 13

@steven.rolfe This time I must disagree, you are right, you can connect the TV Box to the Internet Router via Wifi (Wlan), no doubt, but you can't connect it to the WLAN Box 2, this is possible only with the Ethernet cable. That's what the whole discussion in the German forum, which I linked, is about. At the moment it is not possible. Sorry, that I don't have better news.

Edited
steven.rolfe
Level 5
9 of 13

Ok thanks, it’s a shame Swisscom’s technicians and sales team don’t tell you this as I was persuaded to update my old tv box to allow this functionality. I spent 25  minutes on the phone to a technician who obviously didn’t know that YOU CANNOT connect TVBox 21 to a Box 2 range extender via WLAN.. I will stop wasting my time trying now .. 😂

Gaeilgeoir
Level 5
10 of 13

@steven.rolfe To be honest that's indeed a shame, the same story as it was reported from the guy in the German Forum, they didn't tell him that the connection between the TV box and the WLAN 2 Box is only possible with the cable. Swisscom should update their sales team, to point out this explicitly. 

steven.rolfe
Level 5
11 of 13

Following up on your response, I will inform Swisscom then that the on screen guidance is incorrect as it clearly states that during installation of the TV box 21 you clearly are offered the opportunity to connect to the Box 2 wirelessly.  This is what totally confused me as now via this forum it seems that this connection is NOT possible. 

Black Mamba
Level 5
12 of 13

@steven.rolfe 

thank you for the feedback 😀

in order to close a topic by the initiator, if the problem has been answered to the best encountered

please accept a post as approved solution, to do this, use the option Solution? 

at the bottom left of the best post for solution, even a personal post 

Is the answer a solution to your contribution?

So mark it as a solution or use the equivalent option with the toothed wheel at the top right of the post

Gaeilgeoir
Level 5
13 of 13

🙈