Blue TV on Apple TV 4K - Reduced functionality vs Swissom Box

tuffcustomer
Level 1
1 of 7

Hello there,

I have been using the Apple TV (A2169) for a few months now (upgraded from your IP2000). Unfortunately the basic features and usability of the Blue TV app is substantially less enjoyable.

Some main points of note:

- No playback (black screen) when TV is turned on - when the Apple TV is turned off while watching the Blue TV app and subsequently switched back on, the Blue TV app loads but does not continue playing live program on the last channel I was watching

- Playback scrolling/replay issues: the scrolling action (back/forward) through a program is less effective with inconsistent and sporadic behaviors. The time steps and tracking conflict, glitch or produce sporadic stepping through the program - this is most pronounce when moving back through a program. Sometimes moving through a program causes captions to get enabled (???)

- Guide current time/day display issues: in various circumstance the Guide does not correspond or keep up to current time/day, I need to either navigate out of and back in to the Guide to get correct time/day, or select the 'Now' toggle several times (which does not always work either)

- Guide vertical scrolling issues: when scrolling rapidly (with scroll button pressed down) the Guide behaves erratically, either it scrolls several tens of channels and stops, or only a few and stops, or becomes unresponsive for a while

- Guide timeline/horizontal scrolling issues: when rapidly scrolling the Guide the scrolling is not smooth (keeps blocking) or app becomes unresponsive for some time, this sometimes also occurs even when not rapidly scrolling

- 'Continue watching' feature: when a program ends or if there is a some time break for a program, the program does not continue playing the next program from beginning, but steps forward to live playback or other random point in the following program

- Channels with no video: sometimes channels do not display video, only audio is playing - usually a power off/on resolves this

- Voice search - voice search is very tedious as it does not seem to be well integrated with the Apple TV system and Blue TV app - i.e., when in the Blue TV app the voice search does not search Blue TV but searches the Apple system, I need to first enter the Blue TV search menu to be able to do a voice search

The Apple TV does provide better codec support and is more capable with high quality videos playback than the Swisscom TV boxes - and has some benefit with app availability. Though, the Blue TV App is a subpar experience on this platform. Especially for less patient users - e.g., my partner is gives me grief about the 'upgrading' and why I made things worse - when I explain that 'we now have better video playback' this just does not cut it for her - she is now apprehensive to even turn on the TV if I am not around because of these issues.

I hope my notes gives some insight into user experience for your developers - and I hope these issues will get resolved in the near future.

Otherwise, please do advise if you have any recommendations for making this a better experience, as currently the 'upgrade' is a significant step back in my experience with the Swisscom service.

Best regards,

Mat

Edited
6 Comments 6
Black Mamba
Super User
2 of 7

@tuffcustomer 

Is a WLAN-Box connected?
Swisscom recommends an Ethernet cable between the box and router.

Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
Un "Like" fait toujours plaisir / Valider une réponse comme "Solution"
bitracer
Super User
3 of 7

Check if you have the latest software version of the blue TV app. Some issues you mentioned have been fixed some time ago. Scrubbing through the timeline has been much improved.

tuffcustomer
Level 1
4 of 7

At the time of posting, I had version 2.0.4.1441086 installed - Today I was able to upgrade to version 2.0.5

I will see if there is any improvement this time...

tuffcustomer
Level 1
5 of 7

My connectivity is as follows:

Apple TV ---> [Ethernet] ---> WLAN-Box2 ---> [Wireless] ---> Internet-Box 3

The signal between WLAN-Box2 and Internet-Box 3 shows: Excellent (-31 dbm) - these devices are 3 meters apart with a clear line of sight.

A speedtest (Ookla Speedtest app) from the Apple TV gets: 450Mbit/s Download and 115Mbit/s Upload

bitracer
Super User
6 of 7

If it‘s that close, do you really need the WLAN-Box? Try without it, connect ATV to the WiFi.

Some of the scrubbing latency might be coming from your setup. My ATV is connected via WiFi and moving along the timeline is very snappy.

tuffcustomer
Level 1
7 of 7

I have this configuration as I use the WLAN-Box as a switch so that my Media Server, A/V Receiver and ATV can communicate directly over Ethernet.

In any case, I can temporarily make the connection as you suggest to see if there is any difference.

Some notes since I upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5:

- Timeline scrolling seems to be more fluid with less erratic behaviours

- Guide scrolling has also improved, though one glitch still occurs (this I forgot to mention previously): when scrolling down the Guide rapidly for a few seconds and then pressing up to go in opposite direction, the Guide skips backwards 7 days

- I will provide further feedback once I've had some time to used the new version a bit more...

Edited