cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which TV set do I need to view HDR content on Swisscom TV?

Which TV set do I need to view HDR content on Swisscom TV?

50% helpful (1/2)

UHD offers a higher number of pixels; HDR greatly improves contrast and has a much broader colour spectrum. Combined together, the two technologies bring a noticeable leap in quality. Swisscom TV is one of the broadcasters pioneering the transmission of programmes and channels in HDR & UHD quality.

To receive these programmes, you will need a UHD-compatible Swisscom TV-Box and a minimum broadband speed of 33 Mbit/s. Visit http://www.swisscom.ch/checker to check if your connection meets these requirements.

TV manufacturers have yet to settle on a single HDR (High Dynamic Range) standard. As a result, there is currently a mix of different standards, all of which ultimately say the same thing: that the TV is capable of displaying the improved HDR quality. The more important question, therefore, is whether a particular device is compatible with the HDR standards implemented by Swisscom. In other words, the most widely accepted HDR standards: HDR10 and HLG.

These standards are rarely specified directly on one of the visible logos on the screen. If in doubt, therefore, it is vital to check with the retailer of the device in question. Ideally, the device should support both standards as it is possible for programmes or channels to be broadcast only in HDR10 or HLG. If a device supports both standards, you will not need to worry about its future suitability.

Do I specifically need to activate the HDR function on my TV?

Depending on your TV model, yes. For information on how to activate HDR, read the user manual for your TV set. We have summarised some details from a few manufacturers here.

What if I want to use an AV receiver, a soundbar or an HDMI splitter via HDMI?

If you are using an AV receiver (HDMI), a soundbar (HDMI) or an HDMI splitter between the Swisscom TV Box and UHD TV set, this device also has to support the HDR10 and HLG standard. If not, you will not benefit from HDR.

How can I test if my TV or other connected devices support UHD/HDR?

You can check the Swisscom TV settings under System > UHD/HDR Assistant to see if your devices support UHD/HDR.  

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
Novice

I activated my TV’s HDR setting, I turned the Swisscom box on and off, it says the output is 3840x2160 but I still do not see RTS Deux in UHD, just in HD (I know because the logo is different) 

i have a TV L and internet S at 40 Mbit/s package 

Community Manager

Hello @Etoledo

It seems that you don't own the new UHD TV-Box: https://bit.ly/2zf5c8L

Novice

@LeylaGI investigated the problem further and, whilst I do actually have a UHD TV Box, my area's internet connection is not good enough for UHD (capping out at 30 MBit/s and not 33 as needed) but thank you for the response!

Community Manager

@Etoledo You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback. I hope an improvement of the network will be possible soon at your address.

I have an HD TV set but an iPhone XS max + iPad with Retina display.  If I subscribe to teleclub will I be able to watch the UHD programs on my iDevices or not? (I am rarely in front of my TV which is why I have not yet upgraded)

Community Manager

Hello @AzimA

The UHD programs are only available on a TV screen.