Which TV set do I need to view HDR content on Swisscom TV?

Which TV set do I need to view HDR content on Swisscom TV?

50% helpful (1/2)

UHD_TV.jpg

UHD offers a higher number of pixels; HDR greatly improves contrast and has a much broader colour spectrum. Combined together, the two technologies bring a noticeable leap in quality. Swisscom TV is one of the broadcasters pioneering the transmission of programmes and channels in HDR & UHD quality.

To receive these programmes, you will need a UHD-compatible Swisscom TV-Box and a minimum broadband speed of 33 Mbit/s. Visit http://www.swisscom.ch/checker to check if your connection meets these requirements.

HDR10, HDR 10+ or Dolby Vision?

There are a number of competing HDR standards at the present time: the widely used HDR10; Samsung's HDR10+; HLG, a format co-developed by the BBC and primarily used for live programming, and “Dolby Vision”, promoted by LG and also used by Netflix and Apple TV. 

The new Swisscom Box from Swisscom TV conforms to all the different standards and is perfectly compatible with the latest generation of televisions, which can typically display more than one standard without a problem. It is even the first box of its kind in Europe to support Dolby Vision. Worth knowing: Dolby Vision, like HDR10+, is one of the next-generation HDR standards, offering an even better HDR display than the widely used and somewhat older HDR10 standard (without the plus). 

These standards are rarely specified directly on one of the visible logos on the screen. If in doubt, therefore, it is vital to check with the retailer of the device in question.

Do I specifically need to activate the HDR function on my TV?

Depending on your TV model, yes. For information on how to activate HDR, read the user manual for your TV set. We have summarised some details from a few manufacturers here.

What if I want to use an AV receiver, a soundbar or an HDMI splitter via HDMI?

If you are using an AV receiver (HDMI), a soundbar (HDMI) or an HDMI splitter between the Swisscom TV Box and UHD TV set, this device also has to support the HDR10 and HLG standard. If not, you will not benefit from HDR.

How can I test if my TV or other connected devices support UHD/HDR?

You can check the Swisscom TV settings under System > UHD/HDR Assistant to see if your devices support UHD/HDR.  

Which UHD channels can I receive with Swisscom TV?

The UHD channels you can receive depend on your Swisscom TV subscription. Discover the variety of channels

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Contributors
Comments
Level 1

I activated my TV’s HDR setting, I turned the Swisscom box on and off, it says the output is 3840x2160 but I still do not see RTS Deux in UHD, just in HD (I know because the logo is different) 

i have a TV L and internet S at 40 Mbit/s package 

Community Manager

Hello @Etoledo

It seems that you don't own the new UHD TV-Box: https://bit.ly/2zf5c8L

Level 1

@LeylaGI investigated the problem further and, whilst I do actually have a UHD TV Box, my area's internet connection is not good enough for UHD (capping out at 30 MBit/s and not 33 as needed) but thank you for the response!

Community Manager

@Etoledo You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback. I hope an improvement of the network will be possible soon at your address.

Level 1

I have an HD TV set but an iPhone XS max + iPad with Retina display.  If I subscribe to teleclub will I be able to watch the UHD programs on my iDevices or not? (I am rarely in front of my TV which is why I have not yet upgraded)

Community Manager

Hello @AzimA

The UHD programs are only available on a TV screen.