cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 tips to avoid roaming costs

8 tips to avoid roaming costs

Roaming_sparen.jpg

Higher data roaming charges are part and parcel of foreign travel. Unlike other countries, Switzerland cannot abolish roaming completely. Find out why here. However, you can avoid high mobile bills with the following tips. 

1. Switch to the inOne mobile subscriptions

With the inOne mobile subscriptions go and premium, you can use your mobile phone abroad just as you would at home. 

• The inOne mobile premium subscription offers unlimited surfing and calls in 100 countries worldwide.
  • inOne mobile go offers unlimited surfing and calls throughout the EU/Western Europe.
  • inOne mobile basic offers unlimited calls and SMS/MMS in the EU/Western Europe as well as up to 3 GB surfing.

2. Use your data allowance 

Swisscom’s inOne mobile subscriptions XS, S, M, L and XL (with the exception of inOne mobile light) include an international roaming allowance: giving you access to at least 30 days of Internet, SMS and telephony within Europe. Depending on the price plan, 100 or 1000 MB annually, and 1000 SMS monthly, are included outside Europe. You only have to buy a package for surfing, phoning and SMS/MMS abroad when the credit is used up.

3. Purchase an international package 

It is probably worth buying a package for surfing, calls or SMS/MMS if you:

• don’t have a flat-rate subscription.
  • have used up your inclusive volume (data, minutes, SMS/MMS).
  • are travelling in a country not covered by your subscription data allowance.

You can buy packages in the Swisscom Cockpit. The Cockpit also provides details of prices and how much data you have already used. Using the app and accessing cockpit.swisscom.ch are also free abroad. 

4. Use maps offline

Using maps and navigation on holiday can be a costly business. However, most apps can also be used offline. For instance, you can mark all the places you want to visit on holiday on MAPS.ME before you leave. If you’ve already downloaded the city maps you need while you have Internet access, you can set a few pins, and even without the Internet the app will take you to the sights, recommended bars or market on the other side of town.

5. Switch off auto start

Many apps play back videos or animations even as you scroll – like Netflix, Youtube, Twitter or Instagram. If possible, switch off this auto start function in the app or use these apps less when abroad. 

6. Deactivate automatic updates

Make sure that automatic background updating is deactivated in your smartphone’s basic settings. You should also switch off automatic app updates (i.e. the automatic installation of new app versions). This way, you can prevent data being used unnoticed.

7. No sytem updates abroad

Check whether your smartphone is due for a system update before you go. Otherwise, your smartphone may suddenly want to install new software while you are on holiday. If a new update is available during the holidays, do not install it until you get home.

8. Do not upload large files to the cloud

At home, uploading photos to the cloud is practical and useful. However, you should deactivate this function during the holidays and only activate it manually if a secure WLAN is available. Most smartphones offer you the option of limiting synchronisation to WLAN in the basic device or app settings. Tip: Swisscom offers customers free unlimited access to its own cloud, called myCloud.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
Gaustullu47
Level 1

Why don't you mentioned to switch off the combox as tip to avoid extra costs abroad? I just got my bill with additional CHF70.- due to calls I never recevied but charged to my combox. I did not even have a message let from my friends or telemarketing call, but most probably they called my mobile till they heard the combox announcement. Anyway, Swisscom is charging those calls!

swisskye
Level 1

Missing Swisscom's response to your query / complaint 😞

MiriamF
Community Manager

Hi @Gaustullu47 

Thank you very much for your advice. And sorry for the costs you incurred. We will add this to the article.

Best wishes, Miriam

Koppofeus69
Level 1

Suggest to add a note about and link to : turn off roaming. Thank you