• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

.mkv and .avi formats supported by wifi router-external hard drive

cb123
Level 1
1 of 3

Hello,

I am plugging in an external hard drive to the wifi router to access files from my smart TV wirelessly. The TV shows .jpeg and .mp4 files but no .mkv and .avi files. If I plug the hard drive directly into the TV, all files show, so it's not the TV that's got a problem recognising the file.

Can anyone confirm what video file formats are supported by the router? Otherwise the home network is pointless.

Thanks!

Edited
ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
suisse
Level 8
2 of 3

As far as I know (not tested), the files are simply stored on the external storage connected to the internet box.

The router doesn't have to support it. But your TV has to support the connection to a file share (or NAS).

Perhaps your TV accepts only local storage like USB but doesn't like remote shares coming from a NAS.

If you have a swisscom TV UHD Box, than you can play a lot of video formats with the built in VLC app

2 Comments 2
suisse
Level 8
2 of 3

As far as I know (not tested), the files are simply stored on the external storage connected to the internet box.

The router doesn't have to support it. But your TV has to support the connection to a file share (or NAS).

Perhaps your TV accepts only local storage like USB but doesn't like remote shares coming from a NAS.

If you have a swisscom TV UHD Box, than you can play a lot of video formats with the built in VLC app

jamespat
Level 1
3 of 3

Understood, thanks for your response @suisse : )

James
James