• Closed

TV box saying no signal on channel when put behind firewall/router

maxandersen
Level 2
1 of 8

I got a unifi Dream Machine (awesome router) and all devices now works through that and all is great EXCEPT the tv box.

It keeps saying there are no signal on the channels - it only starts working when I route it directly through the ADSL router - I assume there are some ports or other setup that needs opening up in the router or something.

Anyone know what they are ? 

7 Comments 7
JoelV
Swisscom
2 of 8

Hello @maxandersen 

Thank you for your contribution. 🙂

I asked an expert, but unfortunately we can't help you out. Maybe @Tux0ne can?

Best regards
IvanH

Liebe Grüsse

Joël Viotti
Liebe Grüsse

Joël Viotti
maxandersen
Level 2
3 of 8

Since I posted I figured out it is only the live TV that there are issues with - I can switch to "watch from beginning" and it streams just fine.

so i'm curious to know what "magic" the swisscom box does that isn't happening when traffic is sent via a router. 

Tux0ne
Level 9
4 of 8

The magic is called multicast. You need an igmp proxy:

https://community.swisscom.ch/t5/Router-Hardware/Swisscombox-Plus-nur-als-Modem-vor-Ubiquiti-USG-ben...

long story short (tl;dr)

The udm currently doesn‘t have an igmp proxy on board...

https://community.ui.com/questions/UDM-IGMP-Proxy/d16ab046-9556-4c17-8426-c32398621138

Jeder ist beim Provider den er verdient
Jeder ist beim Provider den er verdient
maxandersen
Level 2
5 of 8

dammit ;/ 

so no way around that ? are there switches with igmp proxy on them or do i really need to add another router ? 

maxandersen
Level 2
6 of 8

can swisscoms adsl boxes not do a direct pass through or would putting the router in DMZ be enough ? 

goemon
Level 2
7 of 8

@maxandersen 

you don't need another router, it's just a configuration you need to do on your dream machine.

maxandersen
Level 2
8 of 8

but the dream machine doen't support the multicast proxy so i need to look for alternatives.

for now my alternative is to just use zattoo and which I might just stay with and save the 50 chf per month 🙂