cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

Second router

Highlighted
Level 1
1 of 7

Is it possible to add a second router and so have a direct connection straight from the socket? I have a Internet Box 2 in my living room but the computer is on the other side of the apartment. WLAN is weak and unstable for the computer and Powerline 2000 kit provides a connection with a ping of over 200 ms, so that's no good for gaming.

There is a socket next to the computer but is it possible to plug a second router in there?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 1
6 of 7

Hi, I finally decided to order a WLAN box to try it out. Connected it to the other socket in the wall and it works perfectly. Max speed on wired as well as wlans on both IB2 and the WLAN box. No need to upgrade to IB3.

6 Comments 6
Highlighted
Level 4
2 of 7

Swisscom WLAN box should help you here, but unfortunately with the internet box 2 (IB2) you do not have the advantage of the mesh network. 

Either you upgrade to IB3 and add a new mesh-enabled WLAN box, or better yet, buy some wifi mesh system and disable the IB2 wifi. 

In my 2nd home (not Swisscom) I have installed the Eero mesh system and I surf the web with nearly the same speed as next to the modem and have a ping of less than 10ms

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Abbonamento: inOne home + TV + mobile, pacchetto Sports.
Highlighted
Super User
3 of 7

@Pluguprauf90 

WLAN-Box 2 is ideal:

• For combating poor WLAN coverage in your property
  • For use in detached homes and large or multi-storey apartments and office buildings
  • If your router is installed in a wiring cupboard

WLAN-Box 2 is compatible with the following Internet-Boxes:

Internet Box 2, Internet-Box 3, Internet-Box standard, Internet-Box plus

ADVICE :

make a test with a WLAN Box 2 connected to IB2, free return within 14 days
if OK remember to switch to IB3 afterwards

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

Highlighted
Level 1
4 of 7

Is the wlan box seriously the only option? I don't think extending a wlan will bring me a connection with a low enough latency, usually wlan extensions bring ping of 50 ms at least. Is there no option of a wired access in an apartment with two sockets?

Level 4
5 of 7

You better call the hotline then to check if you can install 2 routers.

The Wlan box however works well, with excellent ping times, and if you can get the setup with the IB3 and the new WLAN box, then expect sub-10ms pings.

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Abbonamento: inOne home + TV + mobile, pacchetto Sports.
Highlighted
Level 1
6 of 7

Hi, I finally decided to order a WLAN box to try it out. Connected it to the other socket in the wall and it works perfectly. Max speed on wired as well as wlans on both IB2 and the WLAN box. No need to upgrade to IB3.

Highlighted
Super User
7 of 7

@Pluguprauf90 

in order to close a subject by the initiator, if the problem is solved or requires further development

please accept a post as an approved solution, your last post for example
to do this use the option Solution? at the bottom left of the post
Is the answer a solution to your contribution? So mark it as a solution
or use the equivalent option with the toothed wheel at the top right of the post