cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second router

Highlighted
Level 1
1 of 5

Is it possible to add a second router and so have a direct connection straight from the socket? I have a Internet Box 2 in my living room but the computer is on the other side of the apartment. WLAN is weak and unstable for the computer and Powerline 2000 kit provides a connection with a ping of over 200 ms, so that's no good for gaming.

There is a socket next to the computer but is it possible to plug a second router in there?

4 Comments 4
Highlighted
Level 4
2 of 5

Swisscom WLAN box should help you here, but unfortunately with the internet box 2 (IB2) you do not have the advantage of the mesh network. 

Either you upgrade to IB3 and add a new mesh-enabled WLAN box, or better yet, buy some wifi mesh system and disable the IB2 wifi. 

In my 2nd home (not Swisscom) I have installed the Eero mesh system and I surf the web with nearly the same speed as next to the modem and have a ping of less than 10ms

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Abbonamento: inOne home + TV + mobile, pacchetto Sports.
Highlighted
Super User
3 of 5

@Pluguprauf90 

WLAN-Box 2 is ideal:

• For combating poor WLAN coverage in your property
  • For use in detached homes and large or multi-storey apartments and office buildings
  • If your router is installed in a wiring cupboard

WLAN-Box 2 is compatible with the following Internet-Boxes:

Internet Box 2, Internet-Box 3, Internet-Box standard, Internet-Box plus

ADVICE :

make a test with a WLAN Box 2 connected to IB2, free return within 14 days
if OK remember to switch to IB3 afterwards

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

Highlighted
Level 1
4 of 5

Is the wlan box seriously the only option? I don't think extending a wlan will bring me a connection with a low enough latency, usually wlan extensions bring ping of 50 ms at least. Is there no option of a wired access in an apartment with two sockets?

Highlighted
Level 4
5 of 5

You better call the hotline then to check if you can install 2 routers.

The Wlan box however works well, with excellent ping times, and if you can get the setup with the IB3 and the new WLAN box, then expect sub-10ms pings.

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Abbonamento: inOne home + TV + mobile, pacchetto Sports.