cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mesh function: Even more WLAN range

ThomasS
Level 1
1 of 6

Poor WLAN reception in your home? Installing one or more WLAN-Boxes should improve this for you. Good news: Thanks to the mesh function, you now have even more Wi-Fi range and are also flexible in the placement of the boxes.

wlan-box-multiple.pngPreviously, the WLAN-Boxes always had to be connected to the Internet-Box directly. However, thanks to the new mesh function, it no longer matters whether you position your devices in a star configuration around your Internet-Box or connect them ‘in series’. This is because the WLAN-Boxes are now able to forward the signals to the router, which is all thanks to the mesh function.

Looking to optimise your home network? Then check out our guide to optimal home networking. Should you have any questions, please remember that you can also ask our professionals in the Community.

liebe Grüsse, bien cordialement, cari saluti, best regards
ThomasS
Edited
5 Comments 5
Alanz
Level 1
2 of 6

Hi @ThomasS 

is the new mesh function only available with the new WLAN box or also the old ones do?

I have a IB3 and 2x WLAN box of the older generation (i.e. without ventilation holes on the side)

Saluti e grazie
Alessandro
Abbonamento: inOne home + TV + mobile, pacchetto Sports.
ThomasS
Level 1
3 of 6

@Alanz wrote:

is the new mesh function only available with the new WLAN box or also the old ones do?

I have a IB3 and 2x WLAN box of the older generation (i.e. without ventilation holes on the side)

The new mesh functionality is available with WLAN-Box and WLAN-Box 2.

You need firmwarm version 11.03.33, which should already be installed by now.

liebe Grüsse, bien cordialement, cari saluti, best regards
ThomasS
Fabiozzo
Level 1
4 of 6

Hi I already have 2 google wifi boxes. The swisscom router (IP3) will be in the basement and on every floor there will be a wired connection, can I mesh the swisscom router with the existing google wifi?

Black Mamba
Level 1
5 of 6

@Fabiozzo 

thanks for contribution

> ... can I mesh the swisscom router with the existing google wifi? ...

Will somehow work ... Does it have to be the (expensive) Google part?

Why not the (cheaper) WLAN Box 2 from Swisscom, which works optimally with Internet-Box 3 and extends the WiFi at least equally well? What can the Google part do that the WLAN Box 2 cannot?

WLAN-Box 2 and WLAN-Box - Help | Swisscom

So it is better not to use a repeater ((1/2 bandwidth) connection to the router + connection to the WLAN device) than an access point (WLAN device with Ethernet connection to the router (Internet-Box 3)

"Google Nest Wifi is the brand new mesh WiFi system from Google. It consists of a router and one or more access points and replaces your previous WiFi router. The Google Nest Wifi access points extend the coverage in your home and also function as speakers with integrated Google Assistant. "

A router behind the Internet-Box 3 is by no means entirely trivial. I suspect that devices that then go into the network via this WLAN have no access to devices that are connected to the Internet-Box 3 and vice versa. Is that really what you want? I would also use the WLAN Box 2 first and configure it as an AP.

Fabiozzo
Level 1
6 of 6

Answer is simple... I already own the google wifi... used to be in an apartment with UPC and that was enough. Now in the new house I have cables in some rooms, I'll have to check how it works going out of the IP3 to the switch and connect a google wifi for each of the two floors. Using the IP3 as bridge and turning of Wifi on it... or something similar...