• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

Internet-Box standard - Change default user

SwissMuffin
Level 2
1 of 7

Hi,

is there anyway to change the default user from "admin" to something else. I dont mind reimstalling and reconfiguring the router if required.

N

Edited
ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
suisse
Level 8
4 of 7

True. Depends what is better for you. For the majority of the end users, those options would be totally overkill.

But I agree that it's not best practise.

You can use another one BUT than you won't get any support from swisscom.

I'm not aware of a guide but it's always good to change your passwords often (Swisscom customer Center, Mail, WLAN, etc...) and use complex password.

Also personally I would use VPN instead of port forwarding etc...

6 Comments 6
suisse
Level 8
2 of 7

no the user name is hard coded, no way.

SwissMuffin
Level 2
3 of 7

Thank you. The Internet-Box standard fails many of the normal best ptactice hardening techniques. Is there a better box available or is it necessary to purchase from another providder?

Do Swisscom provide a guide to hardening and best practice to secure the home network?

N

P.S. Happy to open this as anew topic if preferred. 

suisse
Level 8
4 of 7

True. Depends what is better for you. For the majority of the end users, those options would be totally overkill.

But I agree that it's not best practise.

You can use another one BUT than you won't get any support from swisscom.

I'm not aware of a guide but it's always good to change your passwords often (Swisscom customer Center, Mail, WLAN, etc...) and use complex password.

Also personally I would use VPN instead of port forwarding etc...

SwissMuffin
Level 2
5 of 7

Hi,

thanks for the excellent reply. For now, i will add a wifi router with VPN and AV. I can also do all the standard things like MAC filters, wifi strength tuning on this router and connect everything here. This seems more sensible than going the unsupported route.

Thank you so much. I will see if i can close this post.

N

suisse
Level 8
6 of 7

By the way, the internet box can do VPN

SwissMuffin
Level 2
7 of 7

Hi suisse,

i have just been through every screen, in expert mode, to find where i configure a VPN client but No luck. Can you tell me how i get to the config screen? If my Internet-box standard does not support an openVPN client but a better swisscom router does, then i would be most interested.

N