cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet-Booster does not bring additional speed

Highlighted
1 of 5

Dear All,

I have the smallest package (Internet S) from Swisscom with the configuration shown in the attached photos. The Internet-Booster is connected to a WLAN-Box with a cable, and the WLAN-Box is also connected to the Internet-Box 2 with a cable. But due to the lenght of the cable between the Internet-Box 2 and the WLAN-Box, it gets a 100Mbps connection only. I got the Internet-Booster to cream out max posible speed out of my plan (currently 50Mbps upload and 50Mbps download). However, I do not seem to get any additional benefit from the Booster, which I think is strange. I have tested the speed with my iphone at the window next to the booster (indoor), and I get 30/20 Mbps Upload/Download with a Swisscom mobile plan. I would specially like to increase the possible upload with the Booster.

Why is there no additional speed gain with the booster?

I can read an understand German, so please answer in German if you wish so.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Network 3.JPG

Network 1.JPG

InkedNetwork 2_LI.jpg

Edited
4 Comments
Highlighted
Level 2
2 of 5

Maybe because your speed is already above 40 Mbit/s:

For Vivo S or inOne home with Internet S (40 Mbit/s), the DSL connection speed must be lower than 30 Mbit/s. For customers with Internet S, the DSL speed must be lower than 40 Mbit/s. For Vivo M or inOne home with Internet M, the speed must be lower than 70 Mbit/s.

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/plans-rates/inone-home/internet/internet-booster.html

Highlighted
Super User
3 of 5

As i know:

with internet S plan (up to 50/50 speed), the booster increases the speed only, if your landline/copper speed is less than 40Mbit/s down.

On your screenshot, i see the line speed is 42down/16up. In this case, the booster will not work. You have  to upgrade to "Internet M" plan to make the booster work to speed increase.

Note:
The upload boosting will never be more than +10Mbit/s

keep on rockin'
Edited
Highlighted
4 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

According to the test which can be done online from the Swisscom wabpage, based on my address, I can not get a higher speed than what I already have with the "Internet S" (due to copper limitation I think). So upgrading to Internet M will not bring additional speed from the copper line. But you said that the Booster can bring only +10Mbps upload. It means that I can get maximum 26Mbps upload with Internet M plus the Booster. Is it correct?

Highlighted
Super User
5 of 5

@Sichinteuff12  schrieb:

So upgrading to Internet M will not bring additional speed from the copper line.

But, with the booster there is up to (around) +80Mbit/s additional speed possible in the down. So if your copper line has 40Mbit/s, you can reach up to 120Mbit/s with the booster. (Depending on load and capacity on the 4G/LTE antenna. On your Booster screenshot, I see that you don't have much signal strength from the LTE antenna (just -103dBm)

Note: The speed increase with the booster is usually very variable and only in rare cases at 80Mbit/s. Usually it is much less than half. Even less with a low antenna signal.

@Sichinteuff12  schrieb:

But you said that the Booster can bring only +10Mbps upload. It means that I can get maximum 26Mbps upload with Internet M plus the Booster. Is it correct?

Yes, it's correct.

keep on rockin'
Edited