cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

How to get 10 Gbit Ehternet speed at home with Internet Box 3?

Teutzuwig78
Level 1
1 of 20

Hello there

I recently upgraded to Internet Box 3 and Internet L 10 Gbit subscription. I also bought a network card with support for 10 Gbit Ethernet to my PC. After this I discovered that the fastest Ethernet port on Internet Box 3 only supports 2.5 Gbit and this is also what I get now on my PC when I run speedtest. I see that I have about 9 Gbit from Swisscom to internet box 3 though.

Any of you community members that have any advice how I can get 5 or 10 Gbit Ethernet speed to my main PC?

Thanks in advance for your replies

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Black Mamba
Level 1
2 of 20

Swisscom is talking about 10 GB because you can simultaneously have 1x 2.5 GB, 4x 1 GB and more wifi devices. So you get 1 GB on several devices that work at the same time and even 2.5 GB on another.
See the post on the French-speaking community below

/t5/Routeur-mat%C3%A9riel/Materiels-pour-10g-bit/td-p/620263/page/5 

or an equivalent post on the German-speaking Community

/t5/Router-Hardware/Internet-Box-3-10GB-schlechte-Verbindung/m-p/594344 

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

19 Comments 19
Black Mamba
Level 1
2 of 20

Swisscom is talking about 10 GB because you can simultaneously have 1x 2.5 GB, 4x 1 GB and more wifi devices. So you get 1 GB on several devices that work at the same time and even 2.5 GB on another.
See the post on the French-speaking community below

/t5/Routeur-mat%C3%A9riel/Materiels-pour-10g-bit/td-p/620263/page/5 

or an equivalent post on the German-speaking Community

/t5/Router-Hardware/Internet-Box-3-10GB-schlechte-Verbindung/m-p/594344 

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

johners88
Level 1
3 of 20

I have the same question. The answer below does not seem to address the question. I have a 10Gb subscription and Swisscom’s own test app shows a speed of circa 7-8 Gb/s. The question is why doesn’t the internet box 3 have 10Gb/s ports. If I connect a Mac Mini with a 10Gb Ethernet port, I can not make use of the 10 Gb Fibre service as I cannot access it. The Internet Box 3 is the bottle neck.

The answer below does not seem logical given 1Gb/s ports have been the standard for over a decade and I have had a Swisscom 1Gb/s Fibre service for many years. I.e. 4 x 1 Gb/s ports connected to a 1Gb/s Fibre service. Swisscom, will you upgrade the ports on your Internet Box 3.

IloveIB
Level 1
4 of 20

I have answered this question many times in the German speaking area of this forum.

When we developed XGS-PON as another access type in the Swisscom network it was clear to us that a router has to support all access types that are currently and at least for the next 10 -20 years in the network (fiber & copper). The second thing and that was as importend as the access types was WIFI6. We wanted WIFI6 to all our customers. Therefore we started looking around which router chipset is offering all our needs. In the end there is only one company that is offering this kind of solutions: Broadcom. We used them already in all Internet-Boxes. But Broadcom only offers a 10 Gbit/S e2e - chipset which is fiber only. That is e.g. the one that Salt was using. The chipset was mainly developed by Broadcom for business purposes. The other chipset is the one that we have used for the IB3 and yes it does not support 10 Gbit/s e2E to one single port. We have tried and discussed with Broadcom but there was no solution. But we did not think (and still believe) that 10 Gbit/s to one single port is really needed in a consumer environment.  We knew that Intel is pushing the 2.5GBit/s ethernet - port into the mass-market and the chipset could support this. In addition in nearly all cases the internet connection is used by many people and many devices in the same household and this is supported quite well with the IB3. 

However because Swisscom is pushing fiber in the next years the next IB4 will likely be a fiber only router. I cannot promise because I am not longer responsible for this kind of business because I left Swisscom. My expectation is that we will see the IB4 in 2022/2023.

That is it.

By the way: XGS-PON is at maximum 8.8 Gbit/s because of overhead traffic. And you will hardly find a server in the internet which allows you to use this kind of speed in reality.

Früher Arbeit, heute Hobby.
A.Temerev
Level 1
5 of 20

To those who have found this thread by Google search, like myself: apparently, there is a full 10G modem that "works in the Swisscom network", as it is written on the store page. https://www.brack.ch/zyxel-xgs-pon-fiber-router-ax7501-1082788

Haven't tested it yet (it is expensive), but it does have a 10G port. Maybe I will order it to get myself a nice Christmas gift 🙂

Fiomummi12
Level 1
6 of 20

Hm.

i use even 4 10gbs connection, may in this case my needs are extraordinary, but especially because of corona the need occurred even higher.

Trading each and every day with gigabyte and terrabyte of data for sync, backup and exchange with clients because i gonna call my self kind of videoproducer. a single port is important to me. and also time matter. events will shut down, and the content has to be ready for post production. an hour of record take about 800gb data, getting from studio, work on it and send it back. and usually client want it already yesterday. our system is supporting bounding and bridge.

after download he will do first backup of everything, 1 home based storage, 2 cloud based storages, as well as home storage uses a 2nd cloud based storage for backup, so 800gb by 4 times just one in home office. so you gonna go wait? doing some kind of holiday? about 4hours after event you gonna send your client all records, but with quality check as raw files, therefor upload everything, after you had to render some stuff. 4h hours gone, you traded about 5tb of data, sure i want my 2.5gbs port and gonna go to bali until shit is done

because of people who want to think for their clients, we cant develop in a speed, we would like. someone decided, we dun need 10gbs in one port, even though its already to slow. we have to go to an office, and work from this place. also most products are kmu/office only, prices are extraordinary and so on. F**** the wifi 6, duno for what i need this. in switzerland my 4g is doing usually better than any installed wifi networks and in flat almost all devices connected by cable anyway, you wont connect a sonos by wifi, kinda stupid. but i had to invest a huge amount of money, to make my home a homeoffice. gonna try by your own, go to swisscom shop and tell them, you would like to have about 40gbs. sure i dun use swisscom boxes or sunrise boxes or salt. wont work. and sure enough i had to install a back up internet for redundancy, which isnt cable based, wont make sense.

My point is: don't decide for your customer, this way you block everything, make everything more complicated, sure enough more expensive, but mostly slow down evolve.

Edited
Biorn1950
Level 1
7 of 20

@Fiomummi12A friend of me who working as video producer with 21 employees use only 10gbs since 2 years and never complain about that.

So maybe you have to check by yourself a best way in your organisation.

Récompense des réponses utiles avec un like. Trouvé une solution? -> Accepter comme solution!
Fiomummi12
Level 1
8 of 20

hm, some people don't get the question. no one asked for opinion, but for reason we can't use, what we want.

in case i want a 64core CPU, and want to know how to cool it down, i didn't asked for: why i need so many cores.

second: a video producer company isn't the same as my job is. u know, u have no clue what i do and you try to compare two different businesses vs each other, like apple vs strawberries. i lose money by time, therefore each second, I'll finish my job earlier, i lost less. a video producer is doing what? rendering time is called coffee time and sending projects, even the file is what? few giga byte, w/o simultaneously backups will be finished fast, and they can do other job by that time.

i need 40gbs, so i want 40gbs. and i want partner, who will not make decision for me, i never asked for.

MCS
Level 2
Level 1
9 of 20

You are right, Swisscom haven’t to decide for us!

Swisscom isn’t cheap, and if Swisscom write 10Gb have to assure at the client that could have 10Gb once and not shared with more users devices.

Swisscom give us a InternetBox4 with Ethernet Port 10Gb and WiFi 6 ax till 8gb capacity, ASAP.

Don’t make us wait too much Swisscom.

TY

Edited
Black Mamba
Level 1
10 of 20

@MCS 

thank you for the contribution

which will be useful for the marketing of future Internet-Boxes 😀

Biorn1950
Level 1
11 of 20

@Black Mamba wrote:

@MCS 

thank you for the contribution

which will be useful for the marketing of future Internet-Boxes 😀

Just revcieved a mail from salt, new router is out. Same design, full black, wifi 6 and footprint reduced by 21%

Récompense des réponses utiles avec un like. Trouvé une solution? -> Accepter comme solution!
Biorn1950
Level 1
12 of 20

@Fiomummi12 wrote:

hm, some people don't get the question. no one asked for opinion, but for reason we can't use, what we want.

in case i want a 64core CPU, and want to know how to cool it down, i didn't asked for: why i need so many cores.

second: a video producer company isn't the same as my job is. u know, u have no clue what i do and you try to compare two different businesses vs each other, like apple vs strawberries. i lose money by time, therefore each second, I'll finish my job earlier, i lost less. a video producer is doing what? rendering time is called coffee time and sending projects, even the file is what? few giga byte, w/o simultaneously backups will be finished fast, and they can do other job by that time.

i need 40gbs, so i want 40gbs. and i want partner, who will not make decision for me, i never asked for.

If you have this problem maybe it's a good idea to asked for opinion.

You need more bandwich than netflix 🤣🤣🤣

Mioyifau18
Level 1
13 of 20

The problem is : swisscom sales told me I would be able to download files at up to 10 Gbs.

This https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/plans-rates/inone-home/internet/fibre.html  mentions:

"Upload and download photos, videos and files at speeds of up to 10 Gbit/s"

This is NOT possible and a lie !

The maximum speed is 2.5 Gbs, because that is the fastest connection available behind the modem.

Likely only 5% of the users will notice this, and are technical enough to put a separate firewall and fibre network behind the router, but this is what I wanted to do. Our family has access to private cloud services that do provide 10 Gbs, and I wish to have a separate firewall between the internal network and the fibre, so the IB3 should offer the option to passthrough the connection (not offered currently).

johners88
Level 1
14 of 20

I think the specifications of the 10Gbs fibre service have been misrepresented. Mioyifau18 sums it up well. The response from IloveIB is detailed and highlights some interesting facts, especially that 10Gbs cannot be achieved. Regardless, there is no 10Gbs port on the IB3. Therefore, no way to get 10Gbs in the home. 

suisse
Level 1
15 of 20

The answer in short with the Internet Box 3 router:

the sum of all speeds can be up to 10 Gbit but you can't reach 10 Gbit/s only with one device.

Biorn1950
Level 1
16 of 20

@suisse wrote:

The answer in short with the Internet Box 3 router:

the sum of all speeds can be up to 10 Gbit but you can't reach 10 Gbit/s only with one device.

In short SCAM

johners88
Level 1
17 of 20

I’m not sure you can even get to 10Gbs. 
3 x 1 Gbs ports = 3Gbs,

1 x 2.5 Gbp port.
Total = 5.5 Gbs. 
I guess WiFi 6 needs to be supplying 4.5 Gbs to aggregate up to the max 10 Gbs. 

My LAN speed tests via the Swisscom app have regularly delivered an impressive 1ms latency, but only 7.5 to 8Gbs. So still 20 percent short from the IB3 to the exchange. 

In my experience Swisscom is a very good prover, but the IB3 does not deliver as expected. 

suisse
Level 1
18 of 20

you can use another third party router.

For me it's good enough but I understand your feedback.

Let's wait for some hardware iterations one time.

Laummuthio19
Level 1
19 of 20

I have the same problem, only with Linksys 🤔

Black Mamba
Level 1
20 of 20

@Laummuthio19 

thanks for contrbution

> ... I have the same problem, only with Linksys ... 

your best bet is to consult the official Linksys website 😁

and contact their Support center if necessary 😀

Official Linksys Support Site - User Guides, Downloads, FAQs