Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Telecommunications Act: roaming change creates more cost security

CorinaS
Super User
1 of 31

Dear Community,

We are changing our products to make it easier and clearer to make calls and surf abroad as of 1 July 2021. The main difference: more cost security for you.

What is new from 1 July?

• Packages for surfing, making calls and sending SMS/MMS are now valid for 12 months rather than 30 days so you have more time to use the volume you purchased.
  • Calls abroad will now be charged to the exact second so you only pay for the actual call time rather than started minutes. You will be charged for the first 30 seconds of outgoing calls and then billed by the second thereafter.
  • As well as setting a limit for data use abroad, you can also now set a limit for calls and SMS/MMS. You can set both limits at any time in Swisscom Cockpit, giving you better protection from high roaming costs and ensuring your data usage and costs stay under control when you use your mobile phone abroad.
  • The new legislation means mobile services are no longer available on ships and planes, as these networks do not support real-time billing. You can only surf, call and send messages when you are connected to the WLAN and using a messaging service. As long as you have a connection to the mobile network on land, your mobile phone will still work as normal on the ship.
  • You can no longer call local business numbers abroad but Swiss short-dial and value-added service numbers will now be available.

Do I need to do anything?

• You have a Mobile subscription with an allowance for abroad (data, minutes, SMS/MMS): as long as you have allowance left, you can continue to surf, make calls and send messages during your holidays, worry-free. The roaming adjustments do not affect your allowance.
  • You will only have to purchase a package to use your mobile phone abroad once you have used all your data, call minutes or SMS/MMS (or if your subscription does not include an allowance for abroad).
  • Making calls abroad: you should ensure that the country code precedes any telephone number you dial (such as +49 for Germany), as otherwise it will not be possible to make the call (except emergency number). And if you have blocked calls from Switzerland to other countries, then calls to foreign numbers will now also be blocked when you are abroad. You can unblock calls easily in My Swisscom.

With or without a data allowance in your Mobile subscription: from 1 July, you need to set your roaming limits for calls/SMS/MMS and surfing in the Swisscom Cockpit under “Costs” before you set off. You can also adjust the limits later in the Swisscom Cockpit. Access to the Cockpit is free of charge and does not use roaming credit.

Find out more about mobile phone usage while travelling abroad on this page. Do you have any questions or comments? Please feel free to have your say and engage with the Swisscom Community.

Edited
30 Comments 30
Stauthaumpeust48
Super User
2 of 31

Could you please describe exactly what will change in following (current) context, because having half on something unlimited means unlimited:

- UE/West Europe: 40 GB/month 

- phone/sms/mms: unlimited

- rest of the world: 100 MB/month

- 1000 msg/month

Thanks

Edited
Black Mamba
Super User
3 of 31

@Stauthaumpeust48 

thanks for contribution

this equivalent post on the Community in German should answer the request

to read and translate if necessary

Änderungen bei Roaming-Angeboten – Seite 2 | Swisscom Community

" The adjustment only relates to the roaming limit. In other words, everything that is used in addition to the included volume (news, minutes, data). And this limit can be adjusted at any time in the Swisscom Cockpit. Your inclusive volume remains unchanged. Warm wishes CorinaS" 

" Regardless of the subscription (with or without inclusive units), you could already set a cost limit in the cockpit. This limit came into effect when activities are carried out in the roaming area that cause additional costs, i.e. are not included. So far this was one limit for everything, now there are two limits that can be managed separately. For customers who have already entered a limit, this value is divided equally between the new limits, but can of course be changed at any time. There is NO change to the included units, only the protection against high roaming costs is further refined and can thus be influenced in more detail. ThomasS"

Edited
LeylaG
Super User
4 of 31

Hello @Stauthaumpeust48

You will continue to enjoy your 40 GB data per month and unlimited phone and SMS for the European Union/Western Europe, respectively 100 MB an 1'000 SMS per month outside EU/Western Europe.

You can check the roaming tariffs on this link: https://bit.ly/3ppGmPm 

Hope it helps!

Un like fait toujours plaisir 😉 Une réponse t'a aidé? -> Accepte-la comme solution!
A like always brings a smile 😄 Don't forget to accept helpful solutions
Edited
Seisteya33
Super User
5 of 31

Hello. So, with simple words what that mean according to my subscription? I have 40 GB montly in roaming, and all the rest - calls, mms, sms are unlimited. 

Edited
Priepiennauld95
Super User
6 of 31

Do we already know the pricing for the new Travel Voice Option. 60 Minutes for one year at what price?

Edited
LeylaG
Super User
7 of 31

Hello @Priepiennauld95

All the infos about the new Travel Voice 12 months will be available from 1 July.

Thank you for your patience.

Leyla

Un like fait toujours plaisir 😉 Une réponse t'a aidé? -> Accepte-la comme solution!
Edited
div
Level 1
Super User
8 of 31

Hello,

the new Telecommunications act, in its art.10b.3, specifies that satellite roaming should be made available as a separate option, independently of other roaming changes:

https://fedlex.data.admin.ch/filestore/fedlex.data.admin.ch/eli/cc/2007/166/20210701/fr/pdf-a/fedlex...

on the other hand, on your web page

https://www.swisscom.ch/new-roaming/

you write that you are totally switching off satellite roaming and do not mention any possibility to turn it back on.

Do you plan to maintain a possibility of satellite roaming? I need this feature.

DomiP
Super User
9 of 31

@div 

As mentioned by @CorinaS in the german part of our community:

@CorinaS  wrote:

Es ist so: Mit einem Satellitentelefon ist keine Echtzeitabrechnung möglich, weshalb keine Kostenlimite garantiert werden kann. Dies wird jedoch per 1.7. vorgeschrieben. Ausserdem verwenden nur sehr wenige Kund*innen ihre SIM-Karte in einem Satellitentelefon, welches auch anderweitig abgerechnet werden kann. Deshalb hat sich Swisscom aufgrund der neuen Regulierungsanforderung  entschieden, die Abrechnung via SIM-Karte nicht mehr anzubieten. Ich hoffe, diese Antwort hilft dir weiter. Liebe Grüsse!

To transalte this:

Real-time billing is not possible with a satellite phone, which is why no cost limit can be guaranteed. However, this will be mandatory as of 1.7. In addition, very few customers use their SIM card in a satellite phone, which can also be billed in other ways. Therefore, due to the new regulatory requirement, Swisscom has decided to no longer offer billing via SIM card.

Gruess, Cordial salids, Cordialement, Cordiali Saluti, Cheers!
Dominik

Howeuyeuz32
Super User
10 of 31

Hi all,

I have also be surprised about the end of roaming on cruise ships and aircrafts. Swisscom has always been the provider that had the most roaming agreement around the globe, so it is a bit surprising. Moreover, the market of cruises/flights is always keeping growing (obviously before COVID-19) fast. 

As I said on the German speaking forum, Sunrise offer the option to deactivate Satellite connections for a while now, directly in the cockpit. 

We will see if the arguments of Swisscom are true about the technical considerations by observing the behaviour of the competitors. 

div
Level 1
Super User
11 of 31

@DomiP

I just discussed this issue with customer support, and they have told me that those roaming changes would not affect my subscription inOne mobile XS.

Update on 01.07.21: the customer support misinformed me, satellite roaming stopped working.

Edited
paulsharry23
Super User
12 of 31

this is really good news thank you for sharing 

Edited
div
Level 1
Super User
13 of 31

@DomiP , @paulsharry23 , @CorinaS

as I suspected, the customer service simply "misinformed" me: satellite roaming stopped working today.
Will try to get on them tomorrow and will be demanding an immediate no-penalty termination of my contract.

Howeuyeuz32
Super User
14 of 31

As a follow up about Satellite roaming (e.g., cruise ships, aircrafts), Sunrise and Salt are still offering satellite service, even after 1st July. Here a quote of Salt: « The usage of your phone while on a plane, on a boat or in a satellite area is blocked by default. If you need to use your phone, you must activate a package (for calls, SMS or data) in advance simply by visiting costcontrol.salt.ch/roaming and by choosing the package you need on the Satellite tab. The data packages will be available starting from 10.07.2021 and calls and SMS packages will be available later on »

If Swisscom does not change their new policy about satellite roaming, I will have to end my contract.

Plauflaulla67
Super User
15 of 31

Hello,

I am very disappointed because Swisscom use the new changes from 1 July 2021 as excuse to practice an ugly marketing strategy with their customers.

I will explain my case. 

I have inOne Mobile go , and the international calls are set as "blocked" because I am using Whatsapp when I call someone to other countries.

I do travel often to Konstanz(Germany) where I have the rest of my family, and I do short trips, usually less than one day there. Before 1 July, I could not call my family when I was in Switzerland, and that's fine - because of block, but I could immediately benefit from my inclusive roaming benefits by calling my family and friends when I am arrived in Germany. Well.... since 1 July, my "block/Sperrung" is active also in Roaming, which means that I have to take care every single time when I go to  and come back from Germany to deactivate and activate the International calls again and again.  What was wrong before?

I know what was wrong: why don't you force people to deactivate the international calls block so that most of them will forgot to activate it back? That's how you make a lot of money from your existing costumers which pay you already a lot. This actually happened to me... I called my mom via cellular by mistake... and talked for a good amount of time, therefore I got extra costs.

Why Swisscom? Why do you do this to us? The option on "Sperr-Einstellungen" is called like this: 

• Internationale Verbindungen (von der Schweiz ins Ausland): gesperrt

It clearly sais that the block is valid "von der Schweiz ins Ausland". Why is this actually extended to also "von der Deutschland ins Deutschland"?

Please fix it, otherwise I will be one of the first to terminate my contract for this reason and do a claim for "illegal marketing practices" to the authorities.

Thank you for understanding

Black Mamba
Super User
16 of 31

@Plauflaulla67 

thank you for the ... long ... contribution 😀

read the above messages for a possible solution

maybe @CorinaS can give more specific explanations 

for additional requests contact directly Swisscom Hotline

Residential customers: contact us via call, chat, text | Swisscom

LeylaG
Super User
17 of 31

Hello @Plauflaulla67

The general calls blocking settings and the roaming blocking settings are 2 different things.

You should have the possibility to block the international calls from Switzerland, while roaming is enabled:

Let me know if it works for you.

Have a good start into the week.

Plauflaulla67
Super User
18 of 31

Hello @LeylaG 

I understand that the general calls blocking settings and the roaming blocking settings are 2 different things. I can block the international calls while roaming is enabled; the problem is different.

Unfortunately, the general calls blocking settings is described in Cockpit as "calls from Switzerland". If the "Calls from Switzerland to other countries" are blocked, my calls from Germany to Germany while I am in Germany are also blocked - and it shouldn't be. This is a new change, it wasn't like that before 1 Juli.

If:

- and I am in Germany

- International calls "From Switzerland to other countries" are blocked

- Roaming is not blocked(Data plan is working)

I should be able to make calls in the local country while abroad, even if the international calls are blocked, because that block only applies "From Switzerland to other countries". In reality since 1 Juli is not working... I got "Your call is restricted...." doing that.

It looks that the "International Connections block" is wrongly implemented, and I have to manually adjust the settings as a workaround for the wrong implementation. For me and my wife it's exactly the same.

LeylaG
Super User
19 of 31

Thank you for your feedback and explanations @Plauflaulla67

Could you please provide a screen shot of your Cockpit in order for me to forward your comment to the Roaming Team ?

Thank you in advance.

Plauflaulla67
Super User
20 of 31

Hi @LeylaG,

As requested, the screenshot is attached. Roaming Limits are also set to 20CHF but that is probably not relevant, and I consumed 0 CHF until now.

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 13.00.53.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 13.04.40.png

Thank you for help.

Best regards,

Iulian

Edited