cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5x VoLTE and WiFi Calling

Contributor
1 of 17
How to enable advanced Calling on Nexus 5x. VoLTE and WiFi calling.?
16 Comments
Community Manager
2 of 17

Hello bushum32,

WiFi Calling and VoLTE are activated gradually and will be available for all residential and SME customers who use a mobile subscription Natel (business) infinity (plus), Natel company or Natel entry and a compatible device.

You will be informed by SMS once all conditions are met.

Kind Regards,

Un like fait toujours plaisir 😉 Une réponse t'a aidé? -> Accepte-la comme solution!
Contributor
3 of 17
Hi Leyla,
Any update here?
Cheers
Community Manager
4 of 17

Hello bushum32,

WiFi Calling and VoLTE should work in general, if the device supports it. As the Nexus 5x is not part of our assortment, we cannot confirm it.

We advise you to ask the the retailer and the manufacturer directly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Un like fait toujours plaisir 😉 Une réponse t'a aidé? -> Accepte-la comme solution!
Contributor
5 of 17
The manufacturer LG/google confirms the device is enabled but the option doesn't show up due to the service provider Swisscom. Who else should I ask?
Community Manager
6 of 17

Dear bushum32,

It is currently unknown, when Advanced Calling will be available for specific devices. Every device needs to get an appropriate software update which is provided by the device manufacturers.

Swisscom will inform all customers by SMS as soon as they can enjoy Advanced Calling.

Unfortunately, we don't have more information.

Kind regards,

Contributor
7 of 17

Any updates here? As the Nexus has always the most recent software of all android devices this should not be the problem. It is also reported to work both for VoLTE and WiFi Calling. But it is still not available on my Nexus 5X.

Contributor
8 of 17

Yes, Whats the status on this. I don't have any phone reception inside my home in the middle of zurich. (New Minergie Building) If swisscom doesn't fix this quickly I will have to switch to a provider where WiFi Calling is available with my device. (E.g. Salt)

Contributor
9 of 17

Looks like you have to switch either the phone or the provider. Swisscom is obviously happy with the fact that they provide VoLTE and Wifi Calling (no matter for how few phones).

Contributor
10 of 17

Can you please push this to your engineering team again? My Hardware (Nexus 6P) is also ready to handle Wifi-Calling. Can you please enable this feature for this device type? I'm paying a lot of money for my swisscom contract and this feature is part of it, so it should just work, if the firmware is able to.

Expert
11 of 17

Advanced Calling (WiFi Calling/VoLTE) is available only when the used mobile phone is a Swisscom device. Nexus is not included in our product range. Therefore, "Advanced Calling" does not work on these devices. 

Kind regards

Tiziana

Belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit einem Like. 
Lösung gefunden? -> Als Lösung akzeptieren!
Contributor
12 of 17
The statement "does not work on these devices" is simply wrong. It does, its proven on other providers networks. Swisscom only has to avtivate it. I don't see the point in Swisscom's behaviour here. Its just disappointing its customers.
Expert
13 of 17

Under the follwing link:

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/mobile/devices.html#ViewType%3DGrid%26page%3D1%26pageSize%3D8...

devices which supports the WiFi Calling technology.

Kind regards

Tiziana

Belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit einem Like. 
Lösung gefunden? -> Als Lösung akzeptieren!
Contributor
14 of 17

This is a list with devices, which Swisscom has enabled the Wifi Calling technology for on its mobile network. But there are a lot more devices out there, which already have the wifi calling technology in their firmware, but Swisscom does not activate them on the network.

T-Mobiles list for example is a bit longer then Swisscom ones:

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/wi-fi-calling.html

And here you can see, that the current Nexus devices also would work with Wifi-Calling:

http://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-s7-wifi-calling-republic-wireless/

So I don't understand, why providers do not provide this service, if a device is able to do it. This is not customer friendly 😞

Contributor
15 of 17

The Nexus 5X is even offered on the Swisscom Homepage and therefore within the product range of Swisscom. So why is WIFI Calling and VOLTE not activated? The whole story here is embarassing.

Unbenannt.JPG

Novice
16 of 17
Dear Swisscom

9 months passed, any news here?

It seems just to be a question of your configuration.

Best Regards
Novice
17 of 17

6 more months and still nothing.  It seems that they are interested only by doing quick money selling new phones.  Forced obsolecence.