cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

occasionally very high ping (300ms)

Highlighted
Contributor
1 of 8

Hi,

I am a new customer and I have a problem with the internet connection. The speed is ok but very often I get ping going up to 200-400ms (both over wifi and over ethernet cable). Usually it happens around once a minute but one evening it was as bad as every few seconds!  It's bad enough to lose the server connection in some apps/games. My setup:

- internet-box 2

- tv box (disconnected when I was doing the ping tests)

- package: 40Mb/sec

MOST HELPFUL ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
6 of 8

@suisse Actually I realised the issue is with my mobile phone - I've noticed in WiFi Doctor it briefly loses the  wifi network. Unfortunately the problem started the same time as I moved home so I thought it must have been the new ISP. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for helping!

Contributor
7 of 8

@suisse Actually I fixed the problem by disabling ipv6 in the swisscom router, since then wifi on my mobile is stable 

7 Comments
Community Manager
2 of 8

Hello @kwiatek

Maybe @suisse can help you regarding your issue ?

Un like fait toujours plaisir ;) Une réponse t'a aidé? -> ✅ Accepte-la comme solution!
Super User
3 of 8

I can try :-)

@kwiatek

you need to narrow this issue.

First do a constant ping to the default gateway (your router)

--> ping 192.168.1.1 --> time should be <1 ms and no ping los

--> than ping constantly the swisscom dns servers 

I would repeat those tests at different times. 

Could be also interesting where the remote server is located.

Contributor
4 of 8

@suisse thanks for your reply. I ran few hundred pings against the DNS servers and the ping times look good - solid 10-15ms 99% of the time, max spike 25ms. This proves that the ping spikes I can see when pinging remote servers in Zurich (i live in Roveredo (GR) ) are not responsible for my disconnections. Also at my work place (also in Roveredo) I can see similar ping spikes but I don't get any disconnections on my mobile using wifi there (also from Swisscom).

Before I moved home few weeks ago my connection in games was stable, however I was using UPC Cablecomm there. Even on my not very good mobile internet, the connection is stable - no disconnections in apps/games.

I think the problem may be with my router (internet-box2), even though the wifi network is always on and with very good strength. This is what I can see on the Diagnostics page in the router admin - it looks like there is a very high ratio (20%) of failed transmitted packets:

WLAN 2.4 GHz

WLAN name (SSID): vlf-38756

channel: 1

Device Name
kwiatek-PC-1

RSSI 
 -40 dBm

Latest Tx rate

RxPacketCount/s

TxPacketCount/s

Pkt_TXFailure/s

Current Bandwidth (Mbit/s)

Rssi per antenna:
  Ant0: -33
  Ant1: -34
  Ant2: -40
Packet Queue:
  55,55,0,-,-,0,0,0,0,200,0.00,-,-,-
  0,0,0,-,-,0,0,0,0,200,0.00,-,-,-
Connection counter since last reboot (4 Days 6 h 36 min):
  Successful connections: 322
  Failed connection attempts: 1
  Connection attempts with authentication error: 0
Other information
  chanspec: 4097
  tx: 5
  inbss: 1
  obss: 0
  nocat: 1
  nopkt: 2
  doze: 0
  txop: 93
  goodtx: 1
  badtx: 1
  glitch: 328
  badplcp: 2
  knoise: 92
  idle: 98
  timestamp: 369517785

Interference Status:
  Mode = 47. Following ACI modes are enabled: bit-mask 1: Reciever Desense based on glitch count bit-mask 2: Limit pktgain based on hwaci (high pwr aci) bit-mask 4: Limit pktgain based on w2/nb (high pwr aci) bit-mask 8: Preemption is enabled bit-mask 32: Low Power Detect Preemption
Super User
5 of 8

possibly.

But did you already gamed with a direct ethernet connection?

For the wifi: 

a) you can scan in the IB GUI if you have overlapping wifi channels. if yes, change the channel to another not busy channel

b) if the range is not huge, you could also try using the 5 ghz wlan which could result in better transmition rates.

Perhaps the main issue is coming from the remote gaming server. 

Contributor
6 of 8

@suisse Actually I realised the issue is with my mobile phone - I've noticed in WiFi Doctor it briefly loses the  wifi network. Unfortunately the problem started the same time as I moved home so I thought it must have been the new ISP. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for helping!

Contributor
7 of 8

@suisse Actually I fixed the problem by disabling ipv6 in the swisscom router, since then wifi on my mobile is stable 

Super User
8 of 8

good to hear