cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

Usenet traffic on Swisscom 10Gb Fibre

Spooner
Level 1
1 of 10

This might be a bit too niche for this forum, but i'll give it a go.

My fibre connection was upgraded to 10Gb on friday, I was previously on a 1Gb connection.

Since the speed upgrade, I can no longer connect to any of my usenet providers.  I just get port errors or connection errors.  It was working perfectly for years beforehand.

I have three providers, they all exhibit the same connectivity issue.

Here's the crunch.  If I connect to ProtonVPN, Usenet traffic works as it should.

All other network services that I use are working fine, Netflix, Xbox, general browsing and downloads, even Torrents are working.

Just not Usenet traffic.

Would anyone have any idea why?  A fault, or have Swisscom decided to block Usenet ?

Thanks for reading.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Spooner
Level 1
10 of 10

Usenet traffic has been stable these last couple of days, i'm almost certain that there was a routing issue somewhere within Swisscom.

I shall mark this off as closed.

For future reference, troubleshoot or test your Usenet connectivity using a VPN service such as ProtonVPN.

9 Comments 9
Biorn1950
Level 1
2 of 10

Hello @Spooner ,

Did you change the internet-box when you upgraded to 10gbs?

Récompense des réponses utiles avec un like. Trouvé une solution? -> Accepter comme solution!
Spooner
Level 1
3 of 10

Hi @Biorn1950 ,

Yes of course, it's mandatory for the new fibre protocol used with the 10gb connections.  I went from the original fibre router Internet-box (1) to the new Internet-Box 3.  It uses a different fibre module.

Biorn1950
Level 1
4 of 10

Not necessarily, you could already had an ib3 and just changed the transceiver.

So you have to open the ports witch your usenet application use in the settings of the ib3. (port forwarding rules)

Capture d’écran 2021-01-24 à 08.38.55.png

Récompense des réponses utiles avec un like. Trouvé une solution? -> Accepter comme solution!
Spooner
Level 1
5 of 10

Hi @Biorn1950 ,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.  I just tried again, and it seems that everything is back working again.  I suspect that Swisscom had a routing issue somewhere.

For your info, my newsgroup client connects on several ports, with 2 remote connections using SSL to port 443.  If I was to port forward all 443 traffic to a specific host on my internal network, then it would break web browsing for all other network clients!  uPNP should be perfectly capable of working out which traffic goes to which port on which host, based on network packets.

Do have a very nice Sunday.  🙂

Biorn1950
Level 1
6 of 10

You don't have to port forwarding 443 it's only used for search requests, generaly usenet client use 119 or 563.

Perfect if all is working now.

Have a nice day.

Black Mamba
Level 1
7 of 10

@Spooner 

in order to close a topic by the initiator, if the problem is resolved

please accept a post @Biorn1950  as approved solution

to do this, use the option Solution? at the bottom left of the post

Is the answer a solution to your contribution?

So mark it as a solution or use the equivalent option with the toothed wheel at the top right of the post

Spooner
Level 1
8 of 10

Just to say that the problem has reoccured.  Extremely slow download speeds again.  A colleague of mine on the same 10gb Swisscom fibre is also noticing very slow speeds from Usenet.

It was working fine for about an hour earlier today, and I was hitting more than 1.5Gbps download speeds.

I hope this is just a Swisscom network fault and the problem will clear up, but if not i'll raise a support case via the phone.

So no solution yet.  Port forwarding doesn't help in my scenario unfortunately.

Biorn1950
Level 1
9 of 10

it's another problem

Spooner
Level 1
10 of 10

Usenet traffic has been stable these last couple of days, i'm almost certain that there was a routing issue somewhere within Swisscom.

I shall mark this off as closed.

For future reference, troubleshoot or test your Usenet connectivity using a VPN service such as ProtonVPN.