cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party software to manage my site i.e. joomla, python

Gropeuvei59
Level 1
1 of 10

I just bought a domain and webhosting and started to explore options.

I understood from the features that I could use 3rd party tools (joomla, python) to manage my website (rather than swisscom hometool).  For example I'd really like to setup my own django based website.

I see the FTP access tool but how could I start to access and manage my server with ssh, python etc?

Thanks, for tips, Andrew

9 Comments 9
MarkusBe
Swisscom
2 of 10

Hello Andrew,

There is no ssh access to your webhosting account.

Joomla can be installed via Application Installer in control panel Domains and Websites - Application installer.

You have to install via ftp.  Python can be used. You can check this via phpinfo when dropping such a file in the public_html directory.

Markus

Gropeuvei59
Level 1
3 of 10

Many Thanks, Marcus,

I never worked without ssh access before, this will be interesting. How to run a python command?

I managed to access the 'server' via FTP and via the control panel managed to create a website folder, simbar.li.fan

But it refuses to create a website with my domain name. error says 'already taken'  when I try and it seems website name/url has to be a subdomain or new domain.

How do I use the root domain name (simbar.li) as my website name ?

When I try to load any  application, like wordpress, on the website I get this error:

Internal error happened. Please contact technical support using the following identifier: 310a8cdd-576d-4ad0-98eb-c5c1ebe6a620

MarkusBe
Swisscom
4 of 10

Hello Andrew,

Something is wrong there. I will check and let you know.

Markus

MarkusBe
Swisscom
5 of 10

Can you please try installing Wordpress again?

Gropeuvei59
Level 1
6 of 10

Well Markus, it's looking a little better.

It now proposes two sites

simbar.li

simabrli.fan

If I select simbar.li and try to install wordpress I get similar error popup as before

Internal error happened. Please contact technical support using the following identifier: cec753cc-6e04-436a-b94e-051ac23d50a4

I tried a couple of times, same result.

I also tied to install certificate ssl, which seems to work.

PS : I noticed it doesn't propose to install the ecommerce option.

MarkusBe
Swisscom
7 of 10

I installed Wordpress for you. E-commerce options are currently not available but will be present soon.

Please reset the password via login screen. The user is admin and should be changed, too.

There was a problem with the php versions.

I noticed that you issued a CSR. Do you plan to use your own SSL certificate? I'm asking because all accounts automatically come with a Let's Encrypt certificate?

Gropeuvei59
Level 1
8 of 10

Thanks Markus, I can see WP up and running on the domain root many thanks. At least I can get started now.

I did intent to have a https site (including ecommerce), so I did intent to create a certificate. I see the WP install is http only.

I also intended to run some python/django pages, so I'm interested to know how I could launch/manage these. I suppose I can FTP the finished programmes/apps and then launch via a cronjob? 

Gropeuvei59
Level 1
9 of 10

Hello again Markus,

I cannot change the admin password since I don't have either the  master password nor the admin's.

Should I try to reinstall WP?

MarkusBe
Swisscom
10 of 10

I triggered a password reset to you bluewin.ch mail account. When you do not receive the request there please uninstall Wordpress and install it again.

The included Let's Encrypt certificate is active now.

Python is active but Django is not available.