• The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

WLAN Guest Network

Robert Watts
Level 2
1 of 13

I have enabled the Guest Network feature on my Internet-2 Box. I also have a WLAN Box (extender). The main WLAN network performs correctly from (in range of) either box. But the Guest network only works via the Internet-2 box.

When only in range of the extension box it says it has a self assigned IP address and no Internet access. Would be nice if the Guest network worked everywhere the main network worked. Is this a feature, a bug or a config error. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS 2

Accepted Solutions
AntoineBD
Swisscom
10 of 13

Hi @Robert Watts,

I'm sorry to read that your Zyxel switch is not supporting tagged vlan setup.

Note that the Swisscom TP-Link switch is more than enough unless you need multi gig capability (with the 2.5Gb/s port of the Internet-Box 3 for example). It performs well and you can set up a lot of things if needed. Obviously it comes pre-configured for Swisscom services like TV over the switch, guest WLAN over a WLAN-Box, Bonding for the Internet-Booster, etc. It's certainly not the most recent gigabit device on the market but you would likely not get much better performance with a more recent gigabit switch.... last but not least it's not very expensive 🙂

BR Antoine

Robert Watts
Level 2
11 of 13

Thanks Antoine for your advice. I finally gave up on my Zyxel (shame as it was only 2 years old). I visited my local Swisscom shop to buy the tp-link T1500G pre-configured by Swisscom. And it works just fine, just changed the password and that's it. I can now access all features throughout my house!

Pity Swisscom tech support could not have given a better indication when I contacted them over 1 year ago.

Thanks again

Robert

12 Comments 12
Robert Watts
Level 2
2 of 13

In case someone else arrives here. It turns out, from Swisscom technical support, that the Guest WiFi network simply does not work on the WLAN box. WLAN box is only 5Gz and Guest Network is only 2.4Gz !!!

Gioplaudeutt82
Level 2
3 of 13

Shockingly this is true - Swisscom Repeater/WLAN extender only does half the job so no extension of Guest WLAN possible.  This fact should be made clear when it is sold. 

Proposed solution from Swisscom technical support buy another repeater.

madaley
Level 3
4 of 13

@Robert Watts @Gioplaudeutt82 

Hm... in my setup the WLAN Box mirrors all SSID of 2.4 & 5 GHz Networks and even correctly offers Guest Networks SSID.

If I connect the WLAN Box directly to Internet Box via cable (Cat 6. RJ45).

But, if I employ another Switch (Managed Netgear) in-between I have to configure the Switch correctly to carry-on the VLAN for Guest Networks.

You must have done something wrong or use not configured hardware in-between.

Thx Swisscom for this great product. I love WLAN Box.

Regards

Madaley

Robert Watts
Level 2
5 of 13

Ah, interesting information. I do indeed have a Xytel switch in between the Internet box and the WLAN box. I will look into it when I have some time.

But it still does not excuse the fact that Swisscom tech support did not know that a switch between the two boxes could cause such a problem. I would have thought that would be relatively common configuration.

But thanks for the lead.

Robert

madaley
Level 3
6 of 13

That is the reason why Swisscom sells recommended Switches by Netgear, which are preconfigured for this kind of setup. Or why they offer config files with the necessary settings to be downloaded and installed onto such Netgear Switches. If you want to use your own equipment you would have to configure the details yourself and honesty VLAN settings are not a very common support case. But yes, a very ver well educated support line can know about this technical depth and problems arising with other hardware than the official recommended or sold one.

Robert Watts
Level 2
7 of 13

Thanks for the info. However, I needed a switch with front panel patching and the Swisscom switches did not provide that, hence Zyxtel.

On well.

AntoineBD
Swisscom
8 of 13

Hi Robert

to allow guest WLAN to be also propagated through the WLAN-Box (1 or 2) when this WB is connected to the gateway through an Ethernet switch, you need to setup  your  switch by doing this:

• access the Zyxel configuration
  • allow tagged VLAN 1977 to be forwarded to all ports of the switch
  • retry

Please note that guest WLAN is only broadcasted on 2.4GHz, there's no guest WLAN on 5GHz (neither on IBx or on WBx).

Robert Watts
Level 2
9 of 13

Thank you @AntoineBD,

Sorry I took so long, but I decided to upgrade my Zyxel switch to the latest firmware before trying out your suggested solution with VLAN 1977.

However, it took me some time because the default IP address was 192.168.1.1 and it proved difficult to reach the WEB configurator. Happily, I found a post on REDDIT which helped me set the IP address to 192.168.1.2. Then I successfully upgraded the firmware. And it seems to work fine.

However, I can find nothing in the configuration option in the WEB configurator that look anything like your suggested changes. Pity.

Maybe I should buy the Swisscom switch, but it does seem to be a rather old tp-link device.

thanks robert

Edited
AntoineBD
Swisscom
10 of 13

Hi @Robert Watts,

I'm sorry to read that your Zyxel switch is not supporting tagged vlan setup.

Note that the Swisscom TP-Link switch is more than enough unless you need multi gig capability (with the 2.5Gb/s port of the Internet-Box 3 for example). It performs well and you can set up a lot of things if needed. Obviously it comes pre-configured for Swisscom services like TV over the switch, guest WLAN over a WLAN-Box, Bonding for the Internet-Booster, etc. It's certainly not the most recent gigabit device on the market but you would likely not get much better performance with a more recent gigabit switch.... last but not least it's not very expensive 🙂

BR Antoine

Robert Watts
Level 2
11 of 13

Thanks Antoine for your advice. I finally gave up on my Zyxel (shame as it was only 2 years old). I visited my local Swisscom shop to buy the tp-link T1500G pre-configured by Swisscom. And it works just fine, just changed the password and that's it. I can now access all features throughout my house!

Pity Swisscom tech support could not have given a better indication when I contacted them over 1 year ago.

Thanks again

Robert

Thossiomag38
Level 2
12 of 13

You're welcome, good to read the TP-Link switch is matching your expectations!

LG Antoine

AntoineBD
Swisscom
13 of 13

You're welcome, good to read the TP-Link switch is matching your expectations!

LG Antoine