Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a NAS over Ethernet for central storage

Fleummieyau87
Level 1
1 of 5

Hi all

I have just received my new Internet Box 3, and have been setting up my home network.

I have an old Synology ds212j NAS that I would like to use as central storage, but it connects only over Ethernet. I have connected it to an available port, and it is accessible from my Mac and other PCs on the network. However, I can't set it up as the central storage for my Swisscom Box. How can I enable it to be discovered in intenetbox.home ?

Thanks in adavnce !

Raphael

4 Comments 4
suisse
Level 1
2 of 5

You want to setup an external NAS as the central storage for the internet box?

That does't make sense 🙂

You can only hook up a usb device (stick / disk). The IB will act has a nas.

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/internet/zentraler-speicher.html

Fleummieyau87
Level 1
3 of 5

Well, I am not sure why you would think it wouldnt make more sense than connecting over USB; the ideas is to be able to leverage the box's capabilities to manage the storage from my NAS. I have read the manual, thanks ; it would be great to hear if you have any more valuable contribution to the issue.

All the best 

POGO 1104
Level 1
4 of 5

@Fleummieyau87 

You have the choice:
Either you use your fully functional Synology NAS, or you use a USB disk attached to the Internet box as a central storage, a "NAS" reduced to the absolute minimum of functionality.

it's up to you....

keep on rockin'
Edited
suisse
Level 1
5 of 5

@Fleummieyau87 wrote:

Well, I am not sure why you would think it wouldnt make more sense than connecting over USB; the ideas is to be able to leverage the box's capabilities to manage the storage from my NAS. I have read the manual, thanks ; it would be great to hear if you have any more valuable contribution to the issue.

All the best 

@Fleummieyau87 

Of course: don't use the IB nas feature if you already have a full blown synology NAS.

That's my recommendation. I personally do this.