cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

Can I force my Internet-Box 3 and Wlan-Box to use 2.4Ghz?

Zorro08
Level 2
1 of 4

I can see that my IB-3 and WB are using 5GHz. The signal strength is, however, displayed as very low (although everything does work, but slow).

I am unsure, of course, if switching to use 2.4Ghz would improve things. But I would like to be able to try.

ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS 2

Accepted Solutions
IloveIB
Level 2
2 of 4

There are two ways to connect a WB and a IB:

1. Ethernet-cable

2. 5GHz - Wifi (because 2.4 Ghz would be too slow as a backbone)

Therefore if you want to connect your WB by Wifi the answer is no. As described in the manual and on the help pages on Swisscom.ch, the WB should be always in the middle between the IB and the client. Many people think however that it would be the right way to set up the WB in the room / area where the client (e.g. an smartphone) is. That is wrong.

Früher Arbeit, heute Hobby.
Black Mamba
Level 2
3 of 4
On this page: Get technical information relating to the WLAN-Box and WLAN-Box 2 and find out how to change settings and take control of your energy consumption.

Technical information
Steering
Steering ensures that your devices (e.g. smart phone or tablets) are automatically connected to the best WLAN network to achieve maximum speed. Besides the 2.4 GHz standard band, with which every WLAN device is compatible, the WLAN-Box also has the 5 GHz band. The WLAN-Box 2 also supports the latest WLAN standard (Wi-Fi 6), providing noticeably higher WLAN speeds of up to 4.8 Gbit/s.

Maximum Wi-Fi speed 4.8 Gbps (5 GHz)

Maximum Wi-Fi speed 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz)

Depending on its position, the WLAN device (e.g. Smartphone) connects to the Internet-Box or WLAN-Box without interrupting Internet access. If a device does not connect at any time, briefly switch the device’s WLAN off and on again (e.g. in airplane mode).It will then reconnect to the best WLAN.

Setting up the WLAN-Box / - 2

On this page: How to correctly position your WLAN-Box and connect it to the Internet-Box or other devices to guarantee optimum WLAN reception throughout your home.

WLAN-Box positioning

Use your WLAN-Box as an Access Point to achieve optimum WLAN reception. To do so, plug your WLAN-Box into a network connection in your home or run an Ethernet cable between the two. Pair the two devices.

You can also use your WLAN-Box as a repeater, which also extends the WLAN range, although the quality is higher when it is used as an Access Point. If you want to extend your WLAN range with a repeater, position the WLAN-Box between the Internet-Box and the place where you would like to use the Internet. Then pair the two devices.

Always stand the WLAN-Box upright to achieve optimum WLAN reception; never lay it flat. The WLAN-Box has been optimised to ensure the best possible WLAN range and maximum speed; due to the position of the antenna, this can only be achieved if it is positioned upright. The WLAN reception is greatly impaired otherwise.

The WLAN-Box should not be positioned close to other objects or metal casings either.

3 Comments 3
IloveIB
Level 2
2 of 4

There are two ways to connect a WB and a IB:

1. Ethernet-cable

2. 5GHz - Wifi (because 2.4 Ghz would be too slow as a backbone)

Therefore if you want to connect your WB by Wifi the answer is no. As described in the manual and on the help pages on Swisscom.ch, the WB should be always in the middle between the IB and the client. Many people think however that it would be the right way to set up the WB in the room / area where the client (e.g. an smartphone) is. That is wrong.

Früher Arbeit, heute Hobby.
Black Mamba
Level 2
3 of 4
On this page: Get technical information relating to the WLAN-Box and WLAN-Box 2 and find out how to change settings and take control of your energy consumption.

Technical information
Steering
Steering ensures that your devices (e.g. smart phone or tablets) are automatically connected to the best WLAN network to achieve maximum speed. Besides the 2.4 GHz standard band, with which every WLAN device is compatible, the WLAN-Box also has the 5 GHz band. The WLAN-Box 2 also supports the latest WLAN standard (Wi-Fi 6), providing noticeably higher WLAN speeds of up to 4.8 Gbit/s.

Maximum Wi-Fi speed 4.8 Gbps (5 GHz)

Maximum Wi-Fi speed 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz)

Depending on its position, the WLAN device (e.g. Smartphone) connects to the Internet-Box or WLAN-Box without interrupting Internet access. If a device does not connect at any time, briefly switch the device’s WLAN off and on again (e.g. in airplane mode).It will then reconnect to the best WLAN.

Setting up the WLAN-Box / - 2

On this page: How to correctly position your WLAN-Box and connect it to the Internet-Box or other devices to guarantee optimum WLAN reception throughout your home.

WLAN-Box positioning

Use your WLAN-Box as an Access Point to achieve optimum WLAN reception. To do so, plug your WLAN-Box into a network connection in your home or run an Ethernet cable between the two. Pair the two devices.

You can also use your WLAN-Box as a repeater, which also extends the WLAN range, although the quality is higher when it is used as an Access Point. If you want to extend your WLAN range with a repeater, position the WLAN-Box between the Internet-Box and the place where you would like to use the Internet. Then pair the two devices.

Always stand the WLAN-Box upright to achieve optimum WLAN reception; never lay it flat. The WLAN-Box has been optimised to ensure the best possible WLAN range and maximum speed; due to the position of the antenna, this can only be achieved if it is positioned upright. The WLAN reception is greatly impaired otherwise.

The WLAN-Box should not be positioned close to other objects or metal casings either.

Zorro08
Level 2
4 of 4

Thanks to both responders. While I had already seen the page listed by Black Mamba, I had not fully appreciated the point written by IloveIB in that it should be attempted to place the WLAN-Box at the midpoint between IB and end devices. Since the end devices are all mobiles, this is never going to be possible to do exactly, but I was able to move the WB to the other corner of the room (it is actually about 4m below the IB with a floor between). 

The quality of the signal did indeed improve.

Thanks again