cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

SMTP server cannot be reached

Highlighted
Level 1
1 of 6

Hello,

I am using gmail to send bluewin emails and until now everything worked fine. However, suddenly, the SMTP server seems not reachable and thus sending emails doesn't work anymore.

I've never had a problem like this before, not with gmail nor with any other email client so I'm not exaclty sure what the problem is.

Thank you for any answer !

Luca

Edited
MOST HELPFUL ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
5 of 6

Hello @Koppieheip96

I found a similar topic on the French Community.

According to @Huumii the problem comes from Google https://bit.ly/2R5Qlc9

@ChristianG can you confirm that?

Un like fait toujours plaisir 😉 Une réponse t'a aidé? -> Accepte-la comme solution!
Highlighted
Level 1
6 of 6

Hello,

After having read the thread you posted I learned that the problem was fixed between yesterday and today. Everything works fine again.

Thank you to both of you !

5 Comments 5
Highlighted
Super User
2 of 6

> gmail to send bluewin emails

Google does not let external applications connect to gmail without applying a secure procedure. It is necessary ...

->  activate two-factor authentication on Google.
->  allow access to gmail through low security applications
->  generate an application password at Google for this low security access
->  enable IMAP access to gmail account using this app password instead of Google's

This for the practical part. However, it should be noted that this access by Webmail only gives a view of the mail received in gmail, by far not the full access given by an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

watch this post on the french community

Ajouter compte gmail dans webmail bluewin / Add gmail account in bluewin webmail

/t5/E-Mail/Ajouter-compte-gmail-dans-webmail-bluewin/m-p/617407 

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

Highlighted
Level 1
3 of 6

Hello,

Thank you for your message. However, I think you got the problem the wrong way round. I am using the gmail client and it is the bluewin SMTP server which is not reachable.

These are the settings I am using:

Server: smtpauths.bluewin.ch

Port: 465

Luca

Highlighted
Super User
4 of 6
GMail help from Google support on the subject
Check emails from other accounts

If you have more than one email account, you can view them in Gmail. 

Add another email account to the Gmail app

The Google help link for the web version of GMail is different (the previous one being for the app).

Send emails from a different address or alias

There is a validation step to do to authorize the link between the two mailboxes before configuring the outgoing server. Perhaps that is what causes the rejection and explains why it is "temporary". Error messages should not be taken too strictly!

Normally Gmail sends a request validation message to the email address (bluewin) and you have to click on the link it contains to validate the request. This is what is described in step 2.

Just for information the password on the web page is not the same as on the Gmail app on your device.

The password on the web interface and quite simply that of the customer area.
On an application like the one you have in Gmail, the Bluewin.ch mailbox has a different password even if the server responds negatively with the correct ports, the password and perhaps the source of the problem

Server settings
Swisscom recommendations for customers with a Bluewin.ch/bluemail.ch address:
Note: For all information shown below, SSL must be enabled in the settings.
Incoming mail server
IMAP4: imaps.bluewin.ch (Port 993) (recommended by Swisscom)
POP3: pop3s.bluewin.ch (Port 995) *
Outgoing mail server
SMTP: smtpauths.bluewin.ch (Port 465)
Authentication (Device dependent)
Activate password or normal
Disable CRAM, Digest and SPA

* GMail only allows retrieval by POP. From the other side configure the Bluewin box to forward messages to GMail, keeping a copy in the Bluewin box. The two cases are different from IMAP operation where messages are always accessed on the main server without creating duplicates to be managed separately.

ADVICE :
For an external mail, free and powerful, prefer Thunderbird, for Windows or Mac, it also allows to group all the accounts and many other practical functions

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

on the other hand, several Swisscom customers are complaining about recent problems with Gmail, for example read this post on the French-speaking community

Serveur SMTP rejette les emails envoyés depuis Gmail

Meilleures salutationsde la Communauté francophone

Custpmers help costomers

Highlighted
Community Manager
5 of 6

Hello @Koppieheip96

I found a similar topic on the French Community.

According to @Huumii the problem comes from Google https://bit.ly/2R5Qlc9

@ChristianG can you confirm that?

Un like fait toujours plaisir 😉 Une réponse t'a aidé? -> Accepte-la comme solution!
Highlighted
Level 1
6 of 6

Hello,

After having read the thread you posted I learned that the problem was fixed between yesterday and today. Everything works fine again.

Thank you to both of you !