cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

How to see sender's email address before opening email

Highlighted
Level 2
1 of 6

From the swisscom (bluewin) website:

"https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/internet/spam.html#Tips_to_prevent_spam"

-->

Check e-mails before opening

"To avoid falling victim to spam, you should give every e-mail a quick once-over before opening:

• Do you know the sender’s name and e-mail address?
  • Is the subject meaningful?
  • ..."

How does one see the email address from the inbox list?

Other email providers  have the facility of showing the sender's address when the cursor hovers over the address. I can't seem to find this function with bluewin mail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-t

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION 1

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 2
5 of 6

@Black Mamba 

Many thanks for taking the time to describe in detail, the best way to get info about the sender of an email (the real email address). The steps that you describe still require the email in question to be selected to be loaded in the preview window. This is something I wanted to avoid. Obviously I'm overly cautious when it comes to viruses, trojans, & phishing emails.

While re-applying your steps, I accidentally came across another solution. 

Just clicking on 'From' (to sort by sender name) while viewing the Inbox provides the proxy name as well as the actual email address of the sender.  This is the info that I was looking for. I can now send those emails to the Spam folder or delete them without actually selecting and previewing them.

Thanks again for your time and timely support.

Regards,

-madchatter

5 Comments 5
Highlighted
Super User
2 of 6
@MadChatter 
> Other email providers have the facility of showing the sender's address when the cursor hovers over the address. I can't seem to find this function with bluewin mail.

With the standard message view in Swisscom Webmail, the sender's address is not visible by default, it is possible to change the view to have this information :

-> Webmail

-> Change preview (top right eye)

-> Choose Reading box on the right

-> With the mouse focus on the sender (from) it is possible to see the email address used by the sender

For more complete functions, it is advisable to use a free network mailbox :
- Smartphone: native apps for email
- PC: app like Thunderbird ->
Make Email Easier

Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize - and it’s loaded with great features!

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

Highlighted
Level 2
3 of 6

@Black Mamba 

Thanks for the quick and detailled response.

My default view IS with the reading pane on the right as my default. I think I wasn't clear enough at which point I'd like to see the sender's real email address.

I would like to see it when I hover the mouse over the inbox posting. I'm too nervous about loading a potential dangerous email in the preview pane in order to see the sender's address.

Thanks for your support.

Highlighted
Super User
4 of 6

@MadChatter 

> My default view IS with the reading pane on the right as my default. I think I wasn't clear enough at which point I'd like to see the sender's real email address.

yes, the default view is the mailboxes on the left and the list of corresponding messages in a pane on the right, but to resolve the request follow the red arrow and the instructions provided

ad423d4649a44160.jpg

a reminder or case where the information is not understood :

With the standard message view in Swisscom Webmail, the sender's address is not visible by default, it is possible to change the view to have this information :

-> Webmail

-> Change preview (top right eye)

-> Choose Reading box on the right

-> With the mouse focus on the sender (from) it is possible to see the email address used by the sender

> I would like to see it when I hover the mouse over the inbox posting. I'm too nervous about loading a potential dangerous email in the preview pane in order to see the sender's address.

there is no reason to have problems with this view

Meilleures salutations de la Communauté francophone

Customers help customers

Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize - and it’s loaded with great features!

Highlighted
Level 2
5 of 6

@Black Mamba 

Many thanks for taking the time to describe in detail, the best way to get info about the sender of an email (the real email address). The steps that you describe still require the email in question to be selected to be loaded in the preview window. This is something I wanted to avoid. Obviously I'm overly cautious when it comes to viruses, trojans, & phishing emails.

While re-applying your steps, I accidentally came across another solution. 

Just clicking on 'From' (to sort by sender name) while viewing the Inbox provides the proxy name as well as the actual email address of the sender.  This is the info that I was looking for. I can now send those emails to the Spam folder or delete them without actually selecting and previewing them.

Thanks again for your time and timely support.

Regards,

-madchatter

Highlighted
Super User
6 of 6

after looking without finding, it happens that we find without looking