cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.

Connection with Client fails

Novice
1 of 3

hi,

I am trying to sync my bluewin email account with a client, namely GNOME Evolution (but that should not matter). Even though the settings are (kind of) mentioned in [1], the connection breaks with the error message "Failed to authenticate: IMAP server said BYE: disconnecting". I tried all possible types of encryption and authentication, but none of it seems to work. Interestingly, I can't get it to work with Mozilla Thunderbird as well, whereas it works just fine with MS Outlook (which I do not have access to).

my settings (IMAP):

- Server: imaps.bluewin.ch

- Username: (the one I use for the webmail)

- Port: 993

- Encryption Method: TLS

- Authentication: Password

The passwort is correct, I checked it.

Thanks for your help,

Alexander Schoch

[1] https://emailsetup.swisscom.ch/guide/?accountType=imap&customer=residential&device=pc&lang=de&manual...

MOST HELPFUL ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Expert
2 of 3

Are you aware that the password used for IMAP differs from the one used for webmail/swisscom login?

2 Comments
Expert
2 of 3

Are you aware that the password used for IMAP differs from the one used for webmail/swisscom login?

Novice
3 of 3

@krypton No, I actually was not aware of that. I tried for quite some time to figure out what I did wrong, and it didn't say that anywhere. I also didn't expect something like this, as normally the password for the webinterface and imap is the same.

Thanks for pointing that out, I changed the imap password and it works just fine now.