cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Closed

Wifi signal dropping intermittently

Novice
1 of 4

I am having so many issues with my Swisscom router. I am pretty sure that I just need to find the right channel, but I cannot, for the life of me, find out what it should be.

So, I have constant issues where my WLAN signal drops so frequently, and for so long, that pretty much all devices just end up dropping. Some reconnect, some don't, depending on device, age etc.

I ran a scan on my iMac, and it recommended that the best channels were 6 (2.4 GHz) and 36 (5 GHz) - but when I do this, it looks like there are conflicting devices to me (possibly neighbours routers).

I just ran a simple test of pinging my router, and the results are awful as you can see.

Network Pings.png

here are my Network Scan results.

WLAN Scanner 2.4 GHz on Channel 6.pngWLAN Scanner 5.0 GHz on Channel 36.png

Now, I'm no expert, but these look like the WORST possible channels to be on, does anyone know?

Based on these results - is there someone out there that could recommend what channels I should be on? I've read in a few places online that the last possible setting you should ever have is automatic, which is what Swisscom have told me to do.

Does the 5 GHz channel affect the 2.4 GHz channel and vice-versa? i.e. should you change both to work better together?

I've spent hours, and hours, and hours experimenting, but it doesn't seem to matter what I use, the network at home just does not work at all.

Thanks for your help in advance.

3 Comments
Super User
2 of 4

do you have an internet box 2?

for the 5 GHZ, use the channel 100

where is your router located? Distance to imac? Walls between?

the 2.4 / 5 work independent. I personnaly also have 2 different SSID for 2.4 and 5

Edited
Highlighted
Novice
3 of 4

I think I have an internet box 1. Is 2 better? How do I get one?

i switched to ch.100 on the 5ghz and I think after settling down it is now better, I'll let you know, thanks!

router is real close, no issues there

i may try the 2 different SSID's if this latest change is unsuccessful. Thanks!

Super User
4 of 4
Much better. But you will still have the overlapping 2.4 network.

Try to select a channel with less interference.