cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED
  • The questioner has marked this post as solved.
  • Closed

OSX 10.9 Mavericks and Bluewin Mail

Highlighted
Level 3
1 of 12

Hi,

I am testing OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and the latest build (13A558) seems to have broken down Bluewin in Mail.

I have tried to reconfigure Bluewin using Swisscom Quick Help, but to no avail. It keeps asking for the password (which is correct, as I use to access all my Bluewin services) and it does not update the content of the mailbox.

Anyone else with similar problems?

Cheers

MOST HELPFUL ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 3
12 of 12

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Bluewin requires a different password for email than the one used to access the main Swisscom Login. When I uopdated to Mavericks DP6 iCluld Keycahin was reset, and there the original password was stored. All my later attempts were made using the WRONG password.

Sorry (blush)

11 Comments
Highlighted
Super User
2 of 12

nope, still waiting for the official release.

Did you check the imap / pop settings if they are correct?

Highlighted
Level 3
3 of 12

Yes, I checked the IMAP and SMTP params very carefully. I will give it a try with POP, but I have the impression it is an auth problem. I will try to see if I can trace the communication exchange between trhe client (Mail) and Swisscom servers.

Highlighted
Super User
4 of 12
Verify the user name which should afaik the mail address
Highlighted
Level 3
5 of 12

Yes, I have checked everything. Actually it was working up to the latest Mavericks build (Developer's Preview 5), but the update to DP6 seems to have broken something somewhere. I need to discover if I can intercept the communicatiuon between the mail client and server to discover what's going wrong. Else leave this task to Swisscom once Mavericks will be released this Fall.

Highlighted
Level 3
6 of 12

Hi, I have installed a packet sniffer and I can post the report. I am no big expert, but it seems that there's a problem with a TCP DUP and then the connection to the server is lost. Is this something I should report as a bug to Apple, or is it something tied to the bluewin servers?screenshot_tcpdump

Highlighted
Level 3
7 of 12

Some more info:

* OK IMAP4 PROXY server ready
1.1 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS IDLE LOGIN-REFERRALS NAMESPACE QUOTA CHILDREN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN
1.1 OK capabilities listed
2.1 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
+ go ahead
[... ciphers deleted ...]
2.1 NO ERROR 119 invalid user or password err 30

The error is wrong user or pass, but I am 100% sure that's the same one I am using to log in to SwisscomTV, to Bluewin webmail etc etc. I am yet worndering why it says AUTH=CRAM-MD5, it should just be "password"

Highlighted
Level 3
8 of 12
ok, that's a "capability", but authentication is "plain".
Highlighted
Level 3
9 of 12

And finally have a look at this:

MAC-2886-aer-2:~ andrea$ telnet pop.bluewin.ch 110

Trying 195.186.99.42...

Connected to pop.bluewin.ch.

Escape character is '^]'.

+OK POP3 PROXY server ready

user xxxxxxx

+OK Password required

pass **********

list

-ERR [AUTH] invalid user or password

Connection closed by foreign host.

I am TOTALLY sure that the username and password are CORRECT (I have removed them from the listing above, but they were in clear over telnet), and still I am kicked out

Highlighted
Level 3
10 of 12
And this happens from any OS, not just Mavericks
Highlighted
Level 3
11 of 12

Same problems with IMAP too:

telnet imap.bluewin.ch imap

Trying 195.186.99.40...

Connected to imap.bluewin.ch.

Escape character is '^]'.

* OK IMAP4 PROXY server ready

a1 LOGIN <myusername> <mypass>

* BYE disconnecting

a1 NO invalid user or password

Connection closed by foreign host.

And what's really strange is that connecting to Bluewin mail from my iPhone works fine.

Highlighted
Level 3
12 of 12

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Bluewin requires a different password for email than the one used to access the main Swisscom Login. When I uopdated to Mavericks DP6 iCluld Keycahin was reset, and there the original password was stored. All my later attempts were made using the WRONG password.

Sorry (blush)