Well the title says it all... I got the Data Easy option about a week ago and so far I have been unable to setup or view my account details on the IPad. I can use the chip fine to browse the internet, send emails and so on, but when I go to the Mobile Data option and select "View Account" I just get a popup message which suggests that I do a reset of all settings, which I have done a few times and no luck, I still get the same message after the reset.
Indeed having the same problem. It was working well before the update, but since then, just getting the same message you are referring to. I also tried a few times the reset, but to not avail. The only thing I can now do with this connecting is load the account, through their web site, and use it at the very expensive rate outside the data plans. Nobody at the shop I visited had a clue about this and they were useless. Fortunately when i travel abroad, which I do a lot, I can use other accounts. A real PITA.