• Geschlossen

Firmware-Update WN2000RPT

_martin
Level 2
1 von 10
Hallo! Weiss jemand, wie man die Firmware des Wireless Range Extender Netgear WN2000RPT updaten kann? Wenn ich versuche, das Update online zu machen, kommt eine Fehlermeldung, dass das Gerät keinen Zugang zum Internet hat. Lade ich die Firmware von der Netgear-Seite runter und versuche es manuell, kommt eine Meldung "Error firmware region!". Zur Zeit ist die Firmware V1.0.0.16SWSC installiert. Ich vermute, dass es sich dabei um eine Swisscom-eigene Version handelt (SWSC), weshalb ich nicht auf die Standard-Netgear-Version updaten kann. Auf der Swisscom-Seite finde ich keine Firmware zu diesem Gerät. Das Firmware-Update will ich machen, da ich oft Aussetzer habe, d.h. die Geräte verlieren die Netzverbindung nach einer gewissen Zeit. Vielen Dank für die Hilfe Martin
9 Kommentare 9
Jüre
Super User
2 von 10

Hallo Martin

Die Vermutung, dass Swisscom ihre eigene Firmware darauf hat, wird richtig sein.

Darum  wird sehr wahrscheinlich auch das Update nicht gehe.

Eventuell eine Möglichkeit, eine Recovery FW, wenn es dies überhaupt gibt, und danach nochmal mit der aktuelle FW probieren.

Kann mir aber vorstellen, das dann die Kits nicht mehr richtig mit SCTV zusammen funktionieren.

Ein Update seitens Swisscom wird es wohl nicht mehr geben, weil es mittlerweile schon eine neue Generation Verbindungs-Kits gibt.

Gruss Jürg

#userID63 und Jüre aka Herby 😉
#userID63 und Jüre aka Herby ;-)
genlar
Level 1
3 von 10

Hi Jürg,

this Swisscom policy is absolutely NOT acceptable. I have exactly the same problem described by Martin and I MUST be able to update the firmware !

If Swisscom doesn't allow to update the firmware.... well, they must exchange the "damaged" device and this must be done for free.

This is what I will try to do with Swisscom and if they don't exchange the device... well, Facebook is also a good tool for "bad advertising" on Swisscom.

Best regards,

Ralph

genlar
Level 1
4 von 10

Hi,

I'm right back from a Swisscom shop and they exchanged my not upragradable WN2000RP with another device, without any problem and discussion. Therefore.... ok!

Nevertheless, let me point out a couple of things. By not allowing the upgrade of a third party device (in this case a Netgear device), Swisscom is not only creating frustration to its customers. The company is also causing a market/business damage to Netgear. I mean, the "average" Swisscom customer would associate the technical problem to Netgear (which is true, but Netgear has a firmware update available on the internet ! Having minor bugs in the firmware/software is quite normal today in almost any device) and not to Swisscom.

I suppose that there are agreements between Swisscom and Netgear, in order to allow Swisscom to change the firmware in their device, but not allowing a firmware upgrade.... well, in my humble opinion there is a problem here.

Therefore, if it will happen again, I will first make "bad advertising" on Facebook, then I will contact Netgear (or any other company involved) and inform them that Swisscom doesn't allow the upgrade of a firmware, which solves a bug in the device. Maybe, this action would be totally useless, maybe not.... we will see.

Best regards,

Ralph

Super User
5 von 10

Du kannst davon ausgehen, dass Netgear das weiss. Verstehe Deinen Punkt, aber auf der anderen Seite können angepasste Firmwares einen positiven Effekt auf den gewünschten Nutzen haben. 99% der Kunden sind damit glücklich und fahren besser, 1% nicht. Die 1 % machen dann "bad advertising" im Netz. Trotzdem werden 99% das Swisscom - Produkt kaufen.

Beschreibe Dein Problem klar und eindeutig und Dir kann geholfen werden ... vielleicht
Beschreibe Dein Problem klar und eindeutig und Dir kann geholfen werden ... vielleicht
_martin
Level 2
6 von 10

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply. Could you give me some more information about your "case"? Was your WN2000RPT still under warranty? Which device was it replaced with? Did they acknowledge a hardware/firmware problem with your original device?

Best regards,

Martin

genlar
Level 1
7 von 10

Hi Martin,

The WN2000RPT was bought in June 2013, therefore it was still under warranty.
Here below you find the events releated to my NetGear WN2000RPT device. Please, pay attention to points 5, 6 and 7.

Sometimes, using the WN2000RPT, the internet connection bandwidth drastically drops to an unacceptable level (bandwitdh of a few tens of kbit/s) or, even worst, the connection is simply lost.
When it happens, on my Windows 8 PC, I see the hint "limited" in the bottom right corner of the Windows desktop (over the WiFi icon). The only possible solution is to power cycle the WN2000RPT.

I search the internet for a problem description and I see that INFACT, Netgear has a firmware update available, which seems to solve the problem (Netgear explicitely says that the firmware upgrade solves the connection drops).

I try to update the firmware and what I get is exactly what you describe in your post.

I search the internet again, in order to try to understand why I cannot update the firmware of the WN2000RPT and I land in this thread, where I see that Swisscom has its own firmware on this device and it cannot be updated.

I go to the Swisscom shop where I've bought the WN2000RPT, I explain the problem and they exchange the device without any problem or discussion. The new device is an AirTies Air 4400 Wifi extender.

I try this new device and .... guess what ?? It behaves even worst than the WN2000RPT device ! The internet connection drops to a "limited" level again and more often than with the WN2000RPT.

I try to find a firmware update for the AirTies device, but.... nothing found.

Please note the following :
a)
I'm using my PC not far away from the extender.

b)
When the extender works, the Wifi icon in the bottom right corner of my PC gives a good signal strength (4 or 5 bars out of 5). In reality, this doesn't mean that the internet will surely work,  but... let's say... that's something.

c)
When I use my PC close to the router (Centro Grande, Pirelli), with the extender turned off, I NEVER loose the connection. The Centro Grande seems to work in a reliable manner and, even more important, there are no external interferences (other networks in the neighborhood, jammers, ...).

Best regards,

Ralph

Editiert
genlar
Level 1
8 von 10

Hi Devotee,
I forgot that Swisscom install its own firmware in order to improve
the maintenance/easy of use/(reliability?) of the device, in order to make 99% of
Swisscom customers happy. Therefore I must agree with your 99%/1% stuff you
described above and I'm sorry for the rather arrogant (and naive) post I've made.
Nevertheless, the Swisscom answer (I assume you are a Swisscom expert) should
be more focused on explaining why this policy is applied. I mean,

Netgear makes firmware upgrades available for their customers. It means that
the device is still "alive". It is not a legacy device, where support for it
is not available anymore.

2. Swisscom "kills" the Netgear device, although it is still "alive". Swisscom
acknowledges the bug in the firmware, but doesn't make it upgradable.
Swisscom exchanges the device without problems, but with a new device from
a different supplier... and here is where damage to NetGear comes into play in
my opinion.

Yes, it is obvious that Swisscom has agreements with Netgear, but... is the
firmware upgrade policy integrated in the agreement ? Are you really sure ?

Well, it seems that NetGear is not a Swisscom supplier of extenders anymore
(see also a recent post I've made in this thread), and the "game seems to
be over", but maybe some improvements in these firmware policies could be made.

Best regards,
Ralph

Editiert
genlar
Level 1
9 von 10

By the way, where does this Airties company come from ?

No products on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de. Nothing on toppreise.ch, ...

Well, at least the internet site is available (www.airties.com).

POGO 1104
Super User
10 von 10

Airties is from Turkey.....

http://www.airties.com/press/resources/

keep on rockin'
keep on rockin'